#2

-D.F

I stared into my fridge and sighed, there was not enough to make dinner for both me and Spear let alone one full meal. I stood there unsure what to do, I had spent my recent paycheck on school supplies for Spear, how could I be so stupid and not buy any food. I was failing at being a parent.

"I'm hungry" Spear said walking into the kitchen and rubbing his stomach. I immediately closed the fridge and threw a smile on.

"What do you say about us going out to eat bud?!"I said trying to make it sound exciting, and just then when I thought my world was crumbling I saw his smile. And it brightened up my day.

"Yes!" he said throwing his fists in the air and running to get ready. I tucked my hair behind my ear and walked to the corner drawer. I grabbed a ten-dollar bill and a five-dollar bill before I stuck them into my pocket. I had a stack of money for emergency use only but lately, I've been using it far too much that there was barely any left.

"Last time" I promised myself for the millionth time and closed the drawer. I walk out of the kitchen and catch Spear already at the door struggling to zip up his jacket. "Here," I said leaning done to his level.

"Where are we going to eat?" he asked playing with my hair. After zipping his jacket I placed my hands on my squatted legs and sighed shrugging my shoulder.

"I don't know yet," I said shaking my head. "We have to go so we can find a really cool place," I said emphasizing the 'cool.' I got back up and slipped my shoes on before grabbing Spear's hand and stepping out. I made sure to lock my door and check it more than once. I hated the neighbourhood Spear and I were in, it wasn't a good place to raise a six-year-old at all. Our place has been broken into at least three times this month and each time they took what little belongings we owned.

"Let's go!" Spear yelled shaking my arm recklessly.

"Hey, patience" I demanded which calmed him down slightly. We walked to the car and I quickly buckled Spear into the back. He dug into his pocket and grabbed the little toy car Adriano had given to him. Spear took this car everywhere, it was fair to say he didn't have any toys. Again my fault.

"Vroom," he said running it up my arm. I laughed and pinched his nose before getting into the driver's seat. "I'm going to have this car when I'm big" he mumbled staring it down.

I glanced at him through the rearview mirror and then at the little car. "I bet one hundred percent that you will have that car plus more," I said sticking the key in and silently praying it would work first try.

"I'll buy you one too," Spear said as he watched me struggle. The car took about three tries to turn on and five minutes till we were on the road.

"Really?" I asked him.

"Yes, I'll buy you a nice big car, and a big house" his arms stretched open dramatically and I found myself becoming more and more grateful for a kid like Spear.

"And a house! You're going to be rich." Spear giggled and drove his car along with the window.

"You're going to be rich too," he said bringing me along in the equation.

"Let's hope so."

We drove for a while before I realized I didn't have enough gas to go any farther. "What do you feel about visiting Aunty Dalia at work?" I said pulling into a local cafe where she worked. Thankfully it was not too far and I still had enough gas to make it home.

"Ok" Spear said fiddling with the belt.

"I'm coming," I said leaving my seat and opening his door. "Patience is key little one" I reminded unclipping his belt and lifting him out and onto the floor beside me. "Hand," I said waiting for him to grab on to me.