*55*

-E.R

I shouldn't be here, I think the moment I come face to face with Davina. Her under eyes are dark like she hadn't slept in weeks. I can see the outline of her cheekbones more clearer showing me how malnourished she might be. Her lips purse the moment her eyes hit mine. For some reason her being mad seemed better than her being sad.

"Of course, you have to be here." She rolls her eyes as she slurs her words. She's drunk. No wonder she's speaking to me. I didn't deserve her breath.

"You're drunk," I state staring her up and down. I try my best not to grab her right then and take her back to mine to take care of her. But I can't. I have to stay away from her.

Not a day goes by when her father begs me to speak with her. For some unknown reason he thinks that he can convince her to stop talking to me and stay away for good, little does he know that I did that all on my own.

"Ok?" Her arms crossed defensively. Suddenly she takes a few steps away from me. I pretend like the small moment doesn't tug at my heartstrings at all. She hates me and it's clear.

It's good that he hates me. I'm not good for her. She deserves much better. Someone safer. Someone like that idiot teacher that's sitting out there waiting for her.

Fuck him.

"Date with Spear's teacher? Smart of you?" Her lips part when she hears the tone of my voice, it shocks me just as much as it does her. I clear my throat trying to lessen the tenseness in my words.

"Like you care," she scoffs, her knuckles turn white as she fiddles with her fingers roughly. She's nervous. If only she knew how fucking nervous I was.

Hearing her voice sent my heart beating faster, it felt like it stopped beating entirely since she left my house that day. I can't sleep. I can't work or focus anymore. Which is why she should be out of my life.

However, I can't get her out of my life when her father is casually living in my house without restraints. The idiot is the exact copy of his wife who I just heard died. I had no intention of coming tonight when Essence told me she was going on a date, but when John shared with me the news I knew I had to see her face. Not to my surprise she looked tired, ruined, broken, and I was more than half the reason why.

"You're right." When I say this her eye twitches. I struggle to even believe a single word I say. A part of me is begging to wrap my arms around her and engulf myself in her comforting scent, but I know better.

"I have a date to get to." She smiles.

She can not possibly like this guy. He was the epitome of boring. I didn't know the man but I knew that she'd never be satisfied with him.

"You actually like him," I can't help but scoff.

"At least he didn't kidnap and torture my dad." The sentence knocks the breath out of me. Unsure of what to say I narrow my eyes at her and cross my arms.

"He wants to see you." I change the topic around. Now was her turn to scoff, I knew it was coming.

"Well, I don't want to see him. Or you. You guys ruined my life" She grits out while scanning my figure in disgust. I knew I deserved everything coming towards me but hearing her say those words in front of me made for the first time in a long time want to cry.

"Hear him out. You can hate me all you want I don't care. But he's your father." She laughs. It's not the kind of laugh I love but the type I wish to never hear again. It's cynical and fake, I knew that whatever was at the end of it would hit me just as bad as the previous sentence. Fuck I hadn't prepared myself enough to see her.