#29

-D.F

"What are you doing here?" I ask in disbelief, she pushes past me and into the house she once lived at full time. I turn around and shut the door behind her.

"I'm here to see my children, is that an issue?" she said facing me, we both stop in front of the stairs and pause.

"After years of no contact yeah I would say it is" I cross my arms and try to hold back all the words I've been dying to say to her. "Where's John?" I ask.

"Well your father had to stay back" I roll my eyes when she emphasizes the word, Father. It's not like they were much of parents, they barely deserved the title.

"I'm sure he did." I look at the bag that was wrapped around her shoulders and sigh. "You're not staying here."

"Did you forget that this is my house" She raises her brow as if asking for a fight to happen.

"Seeing how I pay the bills, it's mine."

"Oh Davina, you wouldn't really kick your own mother out on the streets, would you? You know I love you right, I would imagine the day when you were older and we could talk about grown-up things" She took a few steps towards me so that she was in front and placed her cold slender hands on my cheeks.

"Yes, I would do that, and I'm not falling for this stupid ploy again. You do this every time. Now Spear is old enough to remember things, he's not just going to forget when you leave this time," I grip her wrists and tear them from my face. "Leave."

Her jaw clenches along with her hands that still remained in the clutch of mine. She truly had multiple personalities.

The thing about my dear mother was that she was truly troubled. I'm not sure what exactly happened in her childhood to fuck her up this bad, but it must have been truly traumatic. She was a good mom for a while, at least until she started drinking and doing drugs again. She would relapse quite frequently.

From what I've heard from her sister; who cut our family off rightfully so, my mom had hopes and aspirations, that was until she met my father. There wasn't any proof to decide if these words were true but I liked to believe that she wasn't all bad and that she just fell in love with the wrong person.

My father was an entirely different story. He was an angry man, I don't think I've seen him smile unless he wanted something from me. Of course, at my young oblivious age, I had formatted scenarios in my head that had turned out worse than they were to become happy and loving ones, I guess it was a form of dealing with all the trauma he inflicted. Looking back on it my childhood was probably so traumatic I blocked portions of it out.

My father was distasteful and I hated the fact that people said we looked alike. It was the hair. His red frizzy hair that did nothing but remains pin straight. My mother passed down the freckles and altogether I looked like a strawberry.

There was a point in my life I looked up to my parents. Maybe it was the childhood innocence that I now see in Spear or maybe I was just truly blind. Both are the reason on why I wanted Spear and our parents to remain apart.

"Davina, who was there?" Spear tiny footsteps stopped at the top of the stairs looking down at the both of us, he seemed confused at our position which made me drop my mother's arms as if she had an infectious disease.

"No one Spear just go back to your room," I say to him, but before he does so my mother gasps.

"Spear is that you?" She covers her mouth in shock. Spare me. "My beautiful boy."

"I'm not your boy, I'm Davina's," he says concerned. He looks at me between the strands of his hair then back at Jen who tried to hold back a scowl.

"You're my boy. Come on hug your mother" She bent down into a squatting position with her hands out. The look on Spear's face was unlike any other look I'd ever seen him make. He looked at me for clarification but I just stood there.