#31

-D.F

"I'm serious Davina, just go to work I am more than capable to watch after my own son," my mother had listened into my conversation on the phone yesterday, safe to say privacy wasn't a thing to her. She tried convincing me all day yesterday and all morning today to go to work and let her watch Spear.

"No, I don't trust you enough to let that happen, Jen," I said honestly, was I really risking being fired for this? I hadn't come to any conclusion if leaving Spear with Dalia is safe than leaving him with my mother. Both seemed crazy in my mind, but which one was more?

"Oh come on, I've changed I promise you. Do you want to be fired?" She crossed her arms and gave me an expected look.

Spear was in his room, we had just picked him up from school together since I still didn't trust her at this house alone. I had to hide the money from the regular drawer just in case she opened it and took it. That's how little I trusted this woman. She was practically a stranger.

"Spear!" My mother yelled, of course, she was going to use this tactic on me. Spear ran down the stairs with a smile and a car in his hand.

"Yes?" He asked netting us on the couch.

"Don't I'm capable of watching you alone?" She asked putting her arm around him. He stared up at her with admiration, it almost disgusted me. I shook my head at her, she really had to bring him into this.

"Yeah," he nodded his head of course.

"See" She moved his head to look at me and pressed her cheeks against his, she tried her best to make a puppy face to convince me. "Where else would he go?"

"Dalia's" Spear replied for me.

"You're still friends with Dalia?" My mom looked at me in shock. "Who would you rather stay with Spear" She looked at him again.

"You," he said laughing as she tickled him. Crap.

"Fine, but only for a few hours, " and don't leave this house under any circumstances." She nodded frantically. "I'm serious Jen."

"Yay," Spear yelled with his hands up.

"Yay," Jen copied him.

"Ok... I'm going to go get ready," quickly I go change into my work outfit and grab my purse, stuffing it with all the things I might need. I make sure to bring a charger just so I always have my phone alive. I ran down the stairs and see them laughing on the couch. I pause for a moment mid-step and sigh.

There was nothing more I wanted than for Spear to have a mother. For me to have a mother. I was an adult, I had been through my childhood with shitty parents and my teens with none at all. Spear was just about to understand the meaning of abandonment and disappointment. The closer they get, the worse it's gonna be.

"Ok, you guys I'm gonna head out then" I finished going down the stairs and walked to the couch. I stood in front of them with a stern look. "Spear you know my number, call me from the home phone if you need anything. There's enough food in the fridge for the both of you to have dinner, I'll buy some more food tomorrow" Spear nodded and jumped off the couch to hug me. His hands wrapped around my legs.

"I'll miss you," he said squeezing them. I rubbed his back soothingly. "Have fun" he smiled pulling away, I nodded my head and gripped my purse. I gave Jen one last look to which she smiled at.

"Have a good time at work," she said.

I didn't bother to reply to her and walked towards the front door, I slipped on my shoes and left out the door, I made sure to lock it, once, twice, three times so nobody would come inside, but it didn't stop them from leaving.