#24

-D.F

I stare at the stack of cash that innocently laid on my counter. I hadn't figured out what to do with it exactly. Half of me wants to put it towards rent while the other part of me wants to throw it back at Emilio cursing him for somehow knowing the exact amount I needed.

Was I just going crazy? What were the chances it was a coincidence? Slim to none.

I crossed my arms and took a step back so I was leaning against the sink. So many questions I knew I wouldn't get an answer to. Cursing under my breath while I shook my head wasn't going to fix anything but it was all I was doing for the whole day.

I had spent the morning pacing up and down the kitchen overthinking my situation entirely. Spear sat in the living room with a bowl of cereal a wall away.

I suddenly stuffed the money back into my purse and walked out of the kitchen. I look at Spear who sat cross-legged on the couch watching Nemo on the TV, his finished bowl of cereal sat on the coffee table in front of him.

"What are you watching bud?" Already knowing the answer I laid my purse beside the empty bowl and sat down on the couch next to him. I looked at him and then back at the TV with a smile.

"Nemo, it's almost done though" he pushed his long hair out of his eyes, I really need to cut his hair. I ran my fingers through his hair to push it out of his eyes but unfortunately, a few strands flopped back onto his forehead. "When do you work?"

I glanced down at my watch with a sigh, pressing my lips together tightly I look back at him. "An hour" I now pouted. He nodded his head and looked back at the TV. I slid my body lower into the couch so I could lay my head on his little shoulder, I made sure not to rest my head too hard so I didn't apply uncomfortable pressure on it.

"We should watch the Dory one next," Spear said as the movie ended, I look at him with a falsely shocked expression.

"There's one on Dory," I let excitement flow through my tone so the activity would seem more fun. His smile became bigger and he sat up slightly while nodding vigorously.

"Yes! She ends up finding her way back home to her parents-" he explained the movie to me in the best detail he could, I tried my best to seem interested admittedly over exaggerating how happy I was about it. Thankfully being so young Spear had no idea of this fakery.

"Oh, We have to watch it, what do you say about tonight? I get off work at 8, I'll let you stay up" I whispered the last part to him so it seemed like a secret privilege. His eyes filled with mischief.

"Can we have popcorn?"

"What is a movie without popcorn?" I placed my hands on either side of my cheeks surprised by his comment before tickling his stomach with pokes. He laughed and curled up into a ball.

"Ok ok," he laughed out, when I moved back he raised his hands in surrender before attempting to tickle me back. I laughed and pushed away his little hands.

"Hey, you little munchkin" I poked his stomach once more before standing up. "You ready for Dals?" I picked up his bowl slowly walking to the kitchen to put it away. I glanced back before entering.

Spear hopped off the couch with a nod and a soft 'yes,' I finally enter the kitchen and put the bowl in the sink along with the pile of dishes I didn't finish yesterday.

"Ready!" Spear walked into the kitchen with his shoes slipped on but untied and his jacket over his arms and body unzipped. I laugh as I look him up and down.

"Around eighty percent there little guy" I bend down so that I'm at eye level with him. He scowled at the nickname I gave him.

"I'm not little" he huffed while I tied his shoes. I look up at him and nice at his zipper.