#54

-D.F

Spear runs into my arms the moment he sees me waiting for him at pick-up. I had been early every single day in chances I might run into Essence or anyone picking up the twins. They were always late, much my me.

"Hey buddy," I say squeezing the life out of him, he says a quick hi before pulling away and running off to pick up his shoes.

"Davina!" My legs get tackled the moment I stand up, I look down at both of the twins who hug each side of my legs tightly. They stare up at me with wide hopeful eyes.

"Hey guys," I say patting their backs and struggling to smile. Don't blame them for Emilio's choices. I chant to myself over and over.

"Can Spear come over?" Angel asks without hesitation. I look at her with an apologetic smile. There was no way in hell I was going to let Spear go over to their house.

"I'm sorry but he can't," I say pushing her hair behind her ear. Her bottom lip juts out sadly. I sigh and look at Adriano with the same amount of remorse. Spear had begged me every day for the past couple of weeks to hang out with them, I just couldn't allow myself to say yes after what happened. That family had connections with my father that I was not willing to admit to myself.

"Why?" Adriano speaks up.

Just as I start to think about possible lies to tell them Mark walks up to us with his usual smile. "Vee," he says using my well-used nickname. I sigh in relief when the kids let go of me and Spear comes to my side.

"Why don't you go and sit with the twins" I say to Spear, he nods while struggling to hold his shoes. The moment they leave I force a smile on my lips again and reply. "Mark, hi."

"You're on a roll with the pickups?" He laughs and takes a step closer to me. I look around the room at the oblivious parents and nervously chuckle.

"I try." I shrug my shoulders trying to seem coy. Mark hums at my answer which only makes my body crawl with discomfort.

"So how have you been with that guy" Mark says full of distaste which suddenly draws a real smile to my lips. I hold back a laugh at his reaction to smile.

"I'm sorry-" I clear my throat and get rid of all my laughter "We're not- talking anymore." I struggle to find the words to describe what has happened.

Mark's face lights up in reply. Maybe this is what I was meant to do, talk to a well-educated man who looks like he's never lied a day in his life. His face was like an open book allowing me to read him easily, something I couldn't do with Emilio.

Stop thinking about him, Davina.

"Is it too soon to ask you for drinks again?" Drinks? Again? Was there nothing else we could possibly do? I lick my lips and take in a deep breath in unsure of what answer to give. The bell to the door rings behind me and just as I'm about to deny Adriano and Angel scream Mom.

I look behind me to catch Essence staring straight at me and Mark with slightly wide eyes "You know what, drinks sound amazing" I breathe out giving Mark my full attention. His smile widens when I respond, it makes me feel good about myself for a few seconds. For some reason, I don't find myself at all excited about it but doing this is forcing myself to get over Emilio, which was something I needed to do desperately. "I work till 9 tonight if you want to come after."

"That's perfect. I'll see you then," he winks at me but it doesn't send shivers down my spine like when Emilio does it. He then touched my arm longingly before walking away, the touch doesn't leave a burning sensation like when Emilio touches me. Nothing feels the same and seeing on how I'm comparing them nothing will be the same.