#61

-D.F

"Davina," Essence pulls open the door to her house with her usual wide grin. I match her expression with a mumbled 'hello' that she responded to with a bone crushing hug. I forgot how much she loves hugging. "Come in" she says then stepping aside for me.

The moment I enter voices fill my ears. This house was always full of people, Emilio being a usual one. I could only hope that he wasn't here today. I had picked up Spear a few of times this week without one run in with him and it was the most calm state my body had been in a while.

"Davina," the door to the kitchen opens revealing Xavier who walks towards me with open arms. My eyes widen for a few seconds before I'm crushed into another hug. Such a friendly family.

"Hi" I muffle out into his chest. With my arms still at my side I pull my head back hoping he'd release me. Reluctantly he lets go of me with a smile. "It's been a minute." I mumble.

"We all missed you around here, you know that right?" He lets go of my arms and takes a step back. I nod. Not everyone. The thought of Emilio caused me to start looking around the house. If Xavier was here surely the other two were not too far behind. "He's not here."

"Who?" I look at him confused but the look on his face lets me know that he knew exactly what I was thinking.

"The person you were looking for. Emilio is on his way right now with Jackson," he knowingly smirks at me. I start to laugh awkwardly and loudly. Fuck.

"I wasn't looking for him." Crossing my arms I scoff. Everyone around me looks at each other in silence. I need to leave. "Where's Spear?" I look around once again.

"Oh he's just upstairs. I was actually about to call you before you came. We were just heading to the beach, would you and Spear like to come?" A beach day, with Emilio and his whole family... I knew the answer before she could even finish the question.

"You know what, I have a lot of things I need to get done-" before I can finish the door opens behind me. Instinctively I step away and turn around, When Emilio and Jackson stand at the door in casual wear my mouth opens and closes.

"You were saying?" Xavier mumbles. I clear my throat and take more steps back so I wasn't as close to Xavier. With everyone's eyes on me my face grows red, I could only focus on one persons stare and because it was so intense I had forgotten what I was going to say.

"What?" I ask confused, "oh- right. I can't come today but Spear can, I just have to run and grab him swimming trunks" I point to the door as I kept my eyes trained on Essence. Don't look away Davina.

"Oh, he can just use one of Adri's don't sweat it," Essence shrugs her shoulders as if it was nothing. "What do you have going on that you can't come? It'll be really fun we packed so much food that I don't even think our family can finish," she laughs.

I pause thinking of an excuse but when nothing comes to mind I sigh, before she almost smiles in triumph the kids start running down the stairs. "Vee!" Spear starts to run my way until his eyes catch something behind me. "Emilio!" He yells circling me and running into Emilio's arms.

I can't help but feel all warm and giddy when Emilio picks up Spear with a genuine smile on his face, a smile that I haven't seen in what felt like ages. I can't take my eyes off of it as they speak. "I missed you," Spear says clinging onto him.

"Me too buddy" Emilio pushes back Spear's grown out hair from his eyes.

"You never come over for movies anymore," when he pouts I feel my stomach sink. The tight lipped smile that forms on Emilio's lips causes me to look at the floor.