#18

-D.F

I rushed into Spears school with sweat beads forming on my forehead. I was at least twenty minutes late for pick up. Not only was I responsible for Spear but I had two other kids whose lives were in my hands for the evening. No pressure.

"Sorry sorry sorry!" I repeated with guilt, the three kids sat on a bench beside the main office doors. I glance through the glass just to make eye contact with the principal. Dr. Jennings, I never really cared enough to ask why she went by Dr. She wasn't someone I liked talking to.

I immediately turned my attention back to the children to miss the judgmental expression that always took place when she looked at me.

"It's ok, we waited for you," Spear said hopping off the bench. Angelica and Adriano followed a second after. They all craned their necks up to see me which made me bend down so I was now at eye level with them.

"Thanks, guys," I said poking their stomachs which caused little giggles to echo through the room.

"I thought I heard some laughter" a male's voice interrupted. I raised my head with confusion only to be welcomed by Spear's teacher mark. His brows raised once we made eye contact. He has a welcoming smile on his face and a stack of papers in his hands.

"Oh, I didn't realize you were there," I said standing straight up. He started to walk closer with a laugh.

"I was just turning the corner when I heard these little guys laughing, why are you all still here?"

"I got off work late" I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear before crossing my arms across my chest. "How about you? Works not over?" I joked.

"Never is" he laughed which showed his perfect teeth. "I have stacks of homework and tests to mark" he shook the stack of papers with a grunt. I gave him an empathetic look while scanning the pile.

"We'll I should get these kids going, I'm sure they don't want to be here any longer as well" I laughed and grabbed Spear's hand, automatically Angel and Adriano linked hands with him and each other.

"Of course" Mark placed the pile in his right arm before using his left to form a bow which caused the kids to laugh. His occupation was starting to make more sense the more longer we spoke for. "Good-ay ma'am, sir, ma'am, and sir." He tilted his head as he faked lifting a hat off his head while going through the line of us.

"Good ay Sir," they said in unison. With a wave, we started to walk off. Finally. I did not want to be in that school longer than I had to be.

"So what's the plan, you guys? Movie? Popcorn?" I sang as we walked to the car. They jumped and screamed with excitement. "Alrighty then, let's go buy the popcorn!"

The kids pushed through the door before I could fully open it. I sighed and walked to the kitchen with a few bags. I placed the snacks on the table before reaching into my pocket and grabbing my wallet. I opened the pockets of the wallet to see around seven, one dollar bills in there and a handful of change.

I stood still for five seconds before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. Unintentionally a tear rolled down my cheeks, the moment I felt the moisture my hands went to my face to wipe and hold back any and every tear and emotion. I dropped the wallet on the counter before going into one of the drawers. I grabbed my envelope of money and took the cash out. I counted the bills one by one before adding the ones that were in my wallet.

"Fuck" I whispered when I got to the last bill. I was still low. I have to pick up more shifts now. My heart dropped to my stomach. More work.

There wasn't a time when I wasn't working, I always had a responsibility. Careless wasn't a word in my vocabulary. I didn't have time to be careless.