#14

Spear Fright^

-D.F

"Please come" Spear's eyes were large and glossy, and his lips were in a small pout as he begged me to come to his parent-teacher conference. I could feel the distress he had as I related to it on a personal level. My parents never came to any of the school events. Especially parent-teacher conferences. Spear was in the first grade and just starting to realize how different he was, he didn't have two loving parents raising him and somehow he kept getting reminded.

"I made a cool art project" I could practically hear the yells that I would receive from Bill. Spear waited till the last minute to tell me that I needed to be back at school in a few minutes, I didn't have any time to cancel my shift so now I'm needed at the bar in twenty minutes.

"Ok, fine, but we have to be in and out." I hated how stern I was talking to him but I needed him to understand I didn't have any time to waste. He nodded his head frantically and smiled at me through the rearview mirror. I switched the gear so that I was no longer about to pull out but instead stay parked. "Let's go."

"I promise my work is good" he unbuckled himself and waited for me to open his door. I gave him small smile when retrieved him, and as I placed him on the floor he giggled.

"I bet it is" I locked the car door and grabbed his hand into mine, we headed towards the school with Spear blabbering on about the work that he accomplished.

"Back again?" the office lady smiled as we entered. She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose and waited for an answer.

"Parent-teacher conference" I explained as I walked passed her desk and towards Spears Classroom. "Ok, now what did I say?" I said kneeling to his level when we reached the door.

"In and out" he mumbled, I couldn't help the horrible feeling take over when I heard his voice shake, his face held a tint of sadness and I had to stop myself from saying anything more. I couldn't let him cry, not right now.

"Oh- hello" the door opened and a figure halted. My head craned up to meet a man's body. He started down at us with raised brows and a little grin. I let out a chuckle to ease my tenseness and stood up. He was taller than me by a few inches. His straight posture made me almost positive that he was no less than five foot ten.

"Oh hi. We were just having a little talk, I was about to knock" I bit my lip nervously, I can't even remember the last time I had a conversation with a teacher, especially one this young.

"No problem at all, I was just about to grab a coffee from the staff room, please" he raised his hand and moved aside, ushering me into the classroom "- come in, sit anywhere you'd like, I will be back in a few." he walked out of the room and left me and Spear.

"Let's go to my desk" Spear pulled me along the classroom to a small table and chair. His name was written across the top of the desk along with little stickers of cars. "My desk group is the best one in the class" he sat down in the chair and smiled up at me.

"Really? Who else do you sit with?" I looked at the other names written on the desks beside Spear. "Adriano, Angel, Toni, and Gwen, hmm"

"We got to pick we wanted to sit beside, cool right?" I sat leaned on the desk beside him and nodded, just as I was about to respond I heard footsteps walk into the room.

"Alright, Sorry to keep you two waiting. I'm Mark Jones" Mark set his coffee mug down at his desk and grabbed a large file, "Mrs. Fright, it's a pleasure, Spear here speaks highly about you," He offered a hand my way along with a kind grin.

"Davina is fine, and it's nice to meet you" I shook his warm hand for a second before letting go.

"Likewise, I'd like to say that Spear is a bright kid there is no doubt about that, he has better grammar than most kids in his class and can read almost read a grade level ahead" proudness filled my body, "English is definitely his strong suit," Mark cleared his throat and opened the file, "here are a few of his works, he can almost perfectly write a sentence without issue." He passed me a paper full of messy writing, as hard as it was to read I could tell that there were no spelling mistakes.