#9

Angelica and Adriano❤️

-D.F

I hummed a familiar tune and rubbed Spear's back to lure him to sleep. His stomach was on the best and his head and hands were up. As his breaths evened out I slowly stopped my hand and raised it, trying my best to not awaken the little boy. I fixed his small blanket and tucked it around his body.

I walked out of his room and left the door open a couple of inches so I was able to hear him if he called. Slipping my phone out of my back pocket I checked the time, eight-thirty. I nodded to myself and headed toward the bathroom.

Sighing, I turned on the tap to the bath and waited till the water was perfect before plugging the drain. I slid off my shirt and pants while the tub filled up. My body felt tense and I found myself getting excited to relax in the bath.

I slipped into the bath and sighed as the water covered me. I closed my eyes and leaned back into the bath, because of it being so small my knees stayed up and my back laid against the back. I stared at the ceiling quietly. I waited as the water raised to a decent amount and turned off the tap. The silence took over the room and my thoughts took over my mind. Quickly I scrubbed my body.

After, I squeezed my eyes shut and fell deeper into the bath until the water covered my face. I held my breath and focused on that instead of the thoughts that invaded my brain. I waited until my throat clogged up and I was about to pass out before I raised my body and took a breath of air. The feeling was exhilarating, my heart pumped faster than usual and my breathing became hard and fast. I closed my eyes and brought my knees to my chest.

I don't know how long I stayed in this position, but the water started to get cold, and my body started to shiver. Still, I couldn't get myself to stand up and get out. I was stuck in place.

As my eyes started to droop and my breaths were getting slower, I scolded myself for still sitting down and mustered up the energy to get up. The cold breeze hit my body and allowed goosebumps to form across my skin, I took a sharp breath in before covering myself with a towel.

As I dried down and placed a new set of clothes on I heard the doorbell ring. I pinned back my hair as I strutted down the stairs. I glanced out of the window and saw Dalia standing on the other side. As I let out a sigh of relief I opened the door and smiled at her.

Returning the expression she wrapped her arms around me and engulfed me in a hug that only lasted a few seconds.

"Ugh, today has been a day," she said pulling away and walking to the couch. I laughed and closed the door making sure to lock it multiple times. Just to be sure.

"You could say that again," I said plopping down beside her, she rolled her neck so her head was on top of my shoulder. "What happened?"

"My family came over today" I didn't know much about Dalia's family only that she wasn't close with them and she hated talking about it. Deciding not to push for more I waited for her to continue. "They tried to get me to join the family business, again." I could feel her body tense next to me as she spoke.

"Is that why they cut you off?" I knew that Dalia's parents had disowned her to an extent, financially they refused to help, Dalia had been buying her own things for five years. The moment she turned eighteen they had cut off, and I knew it affected her greatly.

"Yep," she drew out, "in my family, the moment you turn eighteen you have a choice, and I made the wrong one," assuming she was talking about her family business, I nodded my head. Her voice became lower as she talked through her chest.

"And they got mad?" I already knew the answer, but I wanted her to continue.

"Fuming. They came unannounced and practically begged on their knees, they kept comparing me to Xavier who of course was the diamond of the family" I almost forgot they were cousins. I laced my hand into hers with the intention of it coming across as comforting.

"What did you say?" I whispered as we were already close, she didn't speak for a moment, and the silence almost became unbearable. I didn't want to be selfish, but deep down I found myself hoping she said no. I knew that if she joined her family business, and became financially supported that there was a higher chance of her leaving me. I'd be alone again.

Dalia was my first friend in a while. Without her, I had no one. It would just be me and Spear. A six-year-old and I. I think I would go crazy if the only person I was with twenty-four seven was a six-year-old.

The silence was thick and I could practically hear my heart beating. Oh gosh. Raising her head from my shoulder she let out a breath she seemed to be holding in. I kept my head straight preparing myself for what was about to happen.

"I said I would try it" as those words, the most saddening words I've heard this week, left her mouth I found myself breathing out the breath that I'd been holding in the entire time. Smile Davina. This is big for Dali. The pit in my stomach deepened. I felt as if I was drowning.

You're selfish.

A smile grew on my face as I looked at Dalia's grim expression, her gaze was already set on me. She sat up slightly and turned her body so one leg was now up by my arm and the other was down. I followed her actions and placed my hands in-between my spread-out legs.

"That's good, right?" I said unsure how she was feeling.

"I've missed them," she whispered, "Xavier was the only person I stayed in contact with" I nodded my head and grabbed her hand once again. Be happy for her. She has a family. I almost envied her for having a choice to be close to her family. Why didn't I get a choice? Don't be selfish.

"I'm happy for you," her face relaxed and a small smile turned up on her lips. She's happy. You're happy. I'm happy.

"Really" hope filled her eyes and her shoulders became loose.

"Of course. You're my best friend," she released my now sweaty hand and wrapped both of her arms around me. One around my back and the other on my neck touching my wet hair. Reciprocating the gesture I rubbed her back.

"I love you" she rocked us an inch back and forth. My smile faltered while my head was stuffed into her neck. Fuck.

"I love you too" I muttered so faintly I wasn't she heard. And soon enough the silence took over again. We hugged quietly for several moments before I pulled back and cleared my throat. "Can you watch Spear tomorrow?" I felt bad even asking.

"Of course, I don't really start anything until Monday" it was Thursday which gave me a couple of days before things changed. I hoped they don't change that much.

"Thanks, I just want to pick up an extra shift," I said as the pit grew. She nodded her head and changed her position, she now sat straight forward with her legs crossed.

"Do you want to watch something? Lighten up the mood." as if being smacked back to reality, a sigh left my lips and I went to grab the remote silently. A movie will distract me.

Short chapter, soooo I was thinking of doing a Emilio Pov next chapter, like every ten chapters I do his POV 😬😬 IDKK

Anyways how do you feel about the story so far? Anything to add or change? Any comments?

How's your summer been?

Vote, comment share!
Byeeeeee