#48

-D.F

I lay on my side wide awake while staring at Emilio's relaxed face. He's facing the ceiling while holding one of my hands in his sleep. Every few seconds my fingers slowly graze the surface of his hand.

I couldn't sleep, which was unusual as every time I slept with Emilio I had the best nights of sleep. His bed was possibly the softest thing I've ever laid on and his touch was a lullaby itself. With my mind swarming I couldn't reach an ounce of slumber.

Scaring me from my thoughts, Emilio suddenly gasps. It echoes through the room which causes my heart to skip a beat, Emilio sits up vastly letting go of my hand in the process.

"Hey," I say sitting up and placing a hand on his clothed back. I rub circles while trying to catch his eyes that were shielded. His fast breaths slow down and only then does he look at me. "You ok?" I ask him concerned.

He looks at me torn, When his eyes reach the door he nods and gets up from the bed leaving me confused and alone.

"Where are you going?" I slide out not a moment after intending to follow him.

"Davina go back to sleep." His voice switches to a hard tone. I continue to follow him outside of the room and into the hallway.

"I already wasn't sleeping," I explain wrapping his sweater tighter around my body. His back flexes as he walks and shakes his head. "What's the matter?"

"Davina."

"Why are you always gone when I wake up? I rarely see you sleep the full night." He stops walking and turns around. His face doesn't soothe any part of me as it looks almost furious. Was it me he was mad at?

"Davina." He breathes out frustratedly.

"You can talk to me-"

"I don't want to talk to you. Can you get that through your head? I don't want to talk to anyone" He points to his head while walking towards me. I step back before he can get too close to me. Even a few steps away in the dark I can see his face redden.

My dad: already being in the back of my brain, flashes in my mind while Emilio's agitated face sternly talks to me. He seems a step away from yelling.

"I'm not just anyone Emilio I'm-"What was I? Surely we were no more than friends, that had to then put us in a relationship. But something about Emilio gave me the sense he was not a relationship type of guy, and I definitely wasn't a relationship girl.

"You're what?" He chuckles as his eyes somewhat scan my figure. My hands tighten around the sweater insecurely. Now I was starting to get mad. "We're not together."

I turn around not being able to hear anything else. I was setting myself up for a conversation I didn't want, a fight that didn't need to occur. I strut fast to his room and gather all my belongings.

"Davina." He calls after me. He sighs deeply while he follows me to his room, it seems like I'm some sort of chore by how loud it comes off. "Where are you going? It's almost three a.m."

"I'm going home. Give me my keys?" I turn to face him and hold out my hands.

"You're not going home." He crossed his arms. He doesn't believe me I can tell he doesn't. But when I keep my arm raised a flash of worry flickers in his eyes. "You can't."

"I can't what? Go back to my house?" I scoff walking closer to him as we were across the room from each other. He shakes his head. "Emilio give me the keys," my voice raises.

"You can't leave me," his tone grows matching mine. I scoff and roll my eyes. Was he serious? The things he was saying put me through a loop. One moment I was nothing to him, the next I had some value.