𝟚𝟙

You were sitting in the dining room, a warm cup of hot chocolate (even though you were craving coffee) in your hands. A fluffy blanket was placed on your shoulders, and knowing who was placing it on made you flinch.

Once he had set it on you, he sat down in front of you across the table. You nervously looked inside of your cup of cocoa, slightly hoping you could somehow hide behind it. Your fingers tapped against the cup nervously.

You were feeling a lot of things. You were ashamed and embarrassed of running away from Freddy like that. You were scared and curious on why your evil step father helped you. You were wondering why you were still here, and why you didn't run yet.

"I, wanted to talk." The voice of your step father pulled you back to reality. You hummed, refusing to say anything. "I know we don't have the best relationship.." he started. "Ha, no shit." You laughed bitterly.

He looked at you with furrowed brows, before looking down. He folded his hands together. "I shouldn't have hit you, that day. That was wrong of me on so many levels." He said. You stayed quiet, anger bubbling inside of you, but some sick part of you wanted to hear him out.

"I stopped drinking since than, and your mother and I are going to get some therapy. I was wondering if you would like to join." He said. You still looked down, scared to look at him, not fully believing him.

"I want to make things better. And, we're not so different." He said. "How?" You snapped. He stared at you, and you glared at him. His eyes watered a little, and he looked down again.

"I used to have a son." He sighed, and your eyebrows softened ever so slightly. "He died, from cancer." He paused. "I thought that maybe, if I got married, had a new child, focused on my work and drowned myself in alcohol, I would be okay." His voice started to crack. "I've been an asshole because I was hurt. That is no reason to excuse my behavior, I just wanted— I just needed you to know that I'm going to be trying now." He looked back up at you again.

"I was just hoping, if you could somehow find it in your heart to forgive me." He finished.

Silence filled the dining room, and you looked down at your cocoa. You still wanted to be mad, to curse him out and storm away, but you couldn't find it in your heart to do so. You knew what you had to do.

You reached out, grabbing his big, rough hand. "I can't forgive you," you admitted, and you saw his shoulders slump. "But, I'm willing to try to." You looked up, smiling at him. He beamed with joy, and he started to laugh.

"That's— this— thank you." He stammered. You laughed alongside him, taking a sip from your hot chocolate as it got quiet again.

"Do you mind if I ask how you almost got a panic attack?" He questioned. You sighed dramatically. "Boy problems." You chuckled. "Oh. Well, I'll find him and I'll teach him not to mess with my step daughter." He said in a teasing matter, making you laugh. "Hold on now, you'll have to wait. We're not that close yet, remember?" You chuckled softly. "I know I know, I'm getting ahead of myself." He admitted.

You smiled, looking down at your cocoa, staring into the chocolatey insides. It was weird he was cheering you up, but, it was nice, having a father figure again.

Your smile dropped a little, the hot chocolate reminded you of something.

Freddy.

His eyes are as brown as hot chocolate. Maybe that's why you always felt so warm when you looked into them.

You aren't sure what to do, but at least you got one thing off your shoulders. Now, onto the next.