⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀xvii. gentle violence

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

From the top of the house, where Edward and his brother Emmett stood, he watched in silence as his mate stepped from the collar of vines around the small, abandoned (though no longer) home and waved at the oncoming group of travelers.

Jacob, along with his new pack that had come far from the North of Canada with the will to serve someone young and idealistic, someone good who would fight for a cause, had just arrived. Bella was beside him, holding his hand. Edward faintly noticed how she'd gotten a bit of color to her cheeks--- different then when he'd seen her last at the hospital. Like this, a smile on her face and the scar barely visible under her flannel shirt, she barely looked like she'd ever come near death. Edward couldn't help but compare to his mate--- so different still, but the same pep in her steps. The same.. brightness in her eyes that came from being loved and taken care of. Jacob had to have been good for her.

Tomi fell into a rhythm of introductions, introducing herself and then letting herself be swarmed with the pack of juvenile wolves, who all excitingly held her hand and told her how much of an inspiration she was to them. Apparently, the elders still held close the fact that Tomi had saved Bella, a new member of their apparent pack though still very human, and that the Cullens had fought beside them during the new born attack.

Tomi Dwyer Cullen. That was her name amongst the wolves, and it had Edward's heart flaming and twisting. He'd promised to marry her, but now he wasn't sure this was something that could happen anymore.

"I'm going to marry her," He suddenly said to Emmett.

His brother, with that smile on his face, boyish but wisened with some age now, gave him a firm pat on the shoulder. "So that's what the ring was about."

Edward let out a choked laughter. "Yes. It was my mother's."

"I think Rosalie hates it--- she pulled a face when she demanded Tomi show it to her.. but she'll get used to it."