⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀xix. edge of the future.

chapter nineteen..
edge of the future

"People are illogical,
unreasonable,
and self-centered.
Love them anyway."

Above anything else in the world, Tomi wanted to be with Edward. It was an instinct, and yet not. It was slightly stronger than that.

Whatever had happened between life and death─ whatever it is that they had done to her, she felt different, moved between time and space differently, breathed differently.

She gazed at Edward once more, her eyes stuck in his like they had been for the last hour. She'd woken up, and when she'd seen him... she hadn't been able to look away. Hadn't been strong enough to disobey that thing that filled her whole.

They'd fallen intertwined in the bed, their legs spread as stars, their arms looped around each other.

There was something unsaid between them, and she was, albeit very early, ready to discuss that.

"What happened to me?" She asked quietly, so softly as if she was afraid to break what was between them.

Edward blinked, his hand that cupped her side resuming its circles on her covered skin.

"You lost too much blood." He managed after a moment of tortured silence, his lips stuck in that thin, thin, line that she wanted to erase with her fingers.

Slowly, she brought her thumb to his lips and let it swipe on them gently. His mouth opened, a breath was taken from the layers of her skin as if she was his saviour, the shadows that swallowed them slipping into his mouth just before her hand retreated.

"You were dead."

He shook his head, and Tomi was left to simmer in the potent silence that followed his terrifyingly dark statement.