⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀xviii. death's loving embrace.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

chapter eighteen..
death's loving embrace

"Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Nothing has happened"

The silence that followed their fight was terrifying. It rang louder than their screams, felt worse than the sound of the wolves' bones cracking and forming.

Bella and Tomi shared a single look─ the same shared suspicions between the both of them. Something was wrong, and something had shifted.

There was a knock at the door; a musical tap, soft, gentle. Murderous, too. The knock faded, and the hand resting on the door opened. The person's nails spread, resisted against the surface and created a deep, hollow and high sound of screeches.

"Tomi~" The man sang, and she felt her blood run cold.

"Bella," Tomi murmured, fighting against her sister's hold as Bella tried to hold her back into their little huddle. "You stay here. You hear me? You stay."

"No." Bella hissed back at her, their stubbornness shared and similar and all the same when it flamed deep in their unmatched eyes. It reminded her of their mother when she got angry with them, when she spilled over a jar at the tender age of five and had gained herself two days without technology. Which had been torture, considering it had been Tomi's only way to communicate with the outside world. Tomi hadn't ever again touched something valuable.