Chapter 5. An 'Average' Morning

Dark Cacao grabbed his sheets, lifting them up over his head, blocking out the early sunlight from the mid-spring light shining through a crack from the black and gold embroided curtains.

He heard a gentle knock on the door, his head slowly retreating from the warmth of the quilts and looking at the door.

His arms lifted above his head and stretched, a large yawn followed by a sleepy, husky, 'Come in...'

A maid poked her head in before, tray in hand as she headed toward him. Putting a cup of coffee on the bedside table.

"Guten Morgen, Eure Hoheit. Hier ist der Kaffee, um den Sie gebeten haben. Wünschen Sie sonst noch etwas?" She asked, a soft twinkle in her eyes, a gentle smile, with her hands held in front of her.  (Good morning, Your Highness. Here's the coffee you asked for. Do you want anything else?)

"Nein, Danke." He waved as he adjusted himself in the plum sheets of his bed. (No, thank you.)

A wave of disappointment came across her face before she nodded and pulled the canopy curtains on the bed back, tying them up, grabbing her tray before leaving. Saying nothing but a goodbye.

Dark Cacao huffed as he got out of bed, touching the cup before quickly retreating his hand from heat.

He grabbed his dressing gown, put it on, tightened it, and then got up.

His feet padded across the cold floor to his ensuite, leaving his coffee alone on the table to settle its heat.

Opening the door to the bathroom and shutting it behind him. Heading to the sink as he grabbed his toothbrush, putting toothpaste on it to begin brushing.

Scrubbing and brushing away his teeth, he'd stare at himself in the mirror, staring his own reflection.

Stubble on his chin and around his mouth, a scar perfectly lined up from his collar bone to his bottom lip, messy unbrushed black hair, the white strip sneaking through as gray hairs shone slightly in the light and-

Whose that behind him?

He'd snap his head, looking at the shower behind him. Nothing, nothing that he can plainly see.

Quickly spitting the toothpaste into the sink and washing it down, he began heading to the shower, the curtain slightly open.

He'd chuck the curtains open, but nothing. Perhaps he was seeing things?

He'd look at the mirror once more and saw nothing but his own tired reflection and the bathroom.

He'd sigh as he'd stumble out of the bathroom, taking off his dressing gown and dumping it on the floor as he headed to his wardrobe, looking through all the options.

He grabbed his usual clothing for his Kingdom, not the armour he more distinctively wears and put it on, tying his hair up into a ponytail after brushing it, looking at himself in the mirror.

He looked behind him, then back at the mirror, there was nothing. He was certainly hallucinating.

He felt his hair standing up on the back of his neck as he grabbed his coffee, it far cooler than what it was before.

Quickly, he drank it down, slamming the cup onto the bedside table. Immediately heading to the doors of his bedroom to leave.

Exiting the room, he started heading down the stairs before halting on them to look at a spare guest room. Something felt off about it, very off about it.

Shaking his head, he ignored it, continuing down the stairs to go to the main hall.

Arriving at the main hall, servants wondered around, knights going towards their posts.

The large doors to the Citadel opened up, the pack of cream wolves rushing inside with their tongues lolling about, excited yaps and barks of the pup's.

"Behave! You'll knock the maids off their feet!" Crunchy Chip snarked, running behind them, a runt in his arms.

"Morning, Wolf Captain." Dark Cacao nodded towards him before looking down at the trail of snowy footprints Crunchy Chip brought in.

"Morning, sir! Look at this pupper, ain't she a beauty!" Crunchy Chip smiled, showing him the runt to the King.

"Yes, she's very beautiful. But you've made a massive mess for the maids to clean." Dark Cacao sighed, pointing to the snowy footprints.

"Oh, right. I'll get it cleaned." He sighed, handing the runt to his Butler.

"At least eat breakfast first, Sir. I can clean it up for you." His Butler explained, snuggling the runt up into his armpit.

"It's my mess, Choco Brioche, I shall clean it myself." Crunchy Chip smiled, patting the runt before turning back to face Dark Cacao.

Dark Cacao gave a smile and a nod to Crunchy Chip before turning on his heel and heading to the dining room.

Caramel Arrow sat at the table, her feet resting on her chair as she fiddled with her hair.

"Morning, Your Highness." She mumbled.

"Morning, First Watcher." Dark Cacao smiled as he sat next to her.

"Mm..." She'd mumble, twisting her hair in an attempt to curl it more.

"What's the matter?" Darl Cacao asked, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Nothing?"

"Something is, what is it?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"It's an order, Caramel Arrow, tell me."

"Affogato... he's been getting up later and later, along with him spending more time inside his old office. I worry about your safety, Your Highness..."

"Oh... Caramel Arrow... I'm sure he won't do it again." Dark Cacao let out a soft sigh as he hugged Caramel Arrow.

A nostalgic feeling came to mind, Dark Choco waking him up in the middle of the night, letting him know about a nightmare he had a few minutes before.

Caramel Arrow sniffled as she hugged him back, "I don't want you hurt. I don't want any cookie hurt because of him!"

"It won't happen, I'll make sure of it. I promise it to you, I can even check on him now if you want." Dark Cacao whispered to her, rubbing her shoulders to calm her down.

"If you don't mind. I'll call you when breakfast is ready." She smiled as she moved away from him.

"Of course I won't mind, I'll be back soon." Dark Cacao smiled as he got off the chair and headed back to the main hall, then went up the stairs to Affogato's room.

Knocking on the door, he awaited a response.

"Go away!" A snuffly voice responded to the knock.

Dark Cacao knocked again, more firm, and a much more recognisable pattern he used to use when Affogato was in his office.

A ruffle came from inside, followed by a choke up sob.

Mumbling came from behind the door as it was unlocked, and a red puffy face met Dark Cacao's sharp face.

"Sorry. Sorry, my liege. I'll be down in a minute." He gargled, wiping his tears.

The door slammed on his face before Dark Cacao could even ask.

Hand grabbing the door handle, Dark Cacao wanted to fully make sure he was okay. And to make sure there was nothing what Caramel Arrow was worried about.

Slowly, he opened the door...

---------------

(W.C 1183)