four

yet again, i was very much late to the studio. just like i was nearly six years ago. lucas and i had a stupid argument about him leaving his dishes and shit everywhere, but luckily we solved it quickly.

i ran down the hall until i made it to studio 16, the studio where we met. i took a deep breath as i raised my hand, knocking on the door. i could hear some shuffling behind the door until her voice broke through.

"it's unlocked," y/n's voice was monotone-a way i had never even heard her before. i swallowed thickly as i opened the door and peeked my head in before stepping inside slowly. i quietly closed the door behind me.

y/n glanced up at me with sharp eyes before looking back at her lap. "hi. let me finish this verse really quick." she said, her shoulders rising as she sniffed a little. i could tell her voice was groggy and her nose was stuffed a little, so i assumed she was just getting over a cold.

i nodded, brushing my hair behind my ear as i stepped towards the couch and sat across from her. "hey. and okay." i spoke softly, not wanting to come off so strong.

it really wasn't supposed to be like this.

we were supposed to be happy.

y/n squeezed her eyes shut as a cough came up and she let it out, covering it with her elbow. i scrunched my nose at how rough and painful it sounded, already reaching inside my purse for the DayQuil i always carry.

"sorry, just getting over a cold." she apologized, returning to her notebook. i smiled softly, holding out the bottle. "do you want some? might make you feel a little better?"

y/n looked up at me through her eyelashes, her stare sending a shock down my spine. she looked for a second before nodding, leaning forward and taking the bottle from my hand. she popped open the cap and took a large gulp, clearly not caring that i had already drank out of it before. i mean, we had already swapped spit so many times before so why would that bother her.

she made a cute face as she pulled back, sticking her tongue out a little. "holy shit, ew. uh, thanks." she thanked me, reaching forward and putting the bottle down on the table in between us.

i smiled again. "of course."

y/n took in a shaky breath as she returned to her notebook yet again, scribbling down something i couldn't see. she sighed, laying down the pencil as she scanned over what she had written.

"okay, i wrote a few ideas and like, storylines i guess. a few verses and shit too, if you wanna look." she held out her open book to me, not looking at me at all. i nodded again and carefully taking it from her, laying it down in my lap as i read over what was on the page. written in y/n's usually unintelligible scribble that i had learned to read was:

i just wanna see you shine, cause i know you are a stargirl

where you go i'll follow, no matter how far
if life is a movie, oh you're the best part

not really sure how to feel about it
something in the way you move
makes me feel like i can't live without you...

"this one's pretty. the uh, the last one in the left corner. do you have more of that or no?" i asked, biting my lip as i looked up at her. y/n shook her head. "no. not yet."

i frowned at how short and cold she was being, but i guess i deserve it.

"okay, what's it about? or do you not necessarily know yet?" i asked again. i was following what y/n asked me of and kept our conversation strictly about the song, even though i desperately wanted to blurt out how sorry i was.