Chapter 23 - Betrayal

Leo POV

Leo POV

I surged forwards and pushed Taurus aside (sorry, Taurus). "The moonstone?" I asked, peeking in. I gasped.

"What is it?" Virgo asked, joining me. I pushed the door open wide and everyone went into the room, which was completely dark -- except for one thing.

"Whoa," Taurus marveled, leaning on his crutches as the door clicked shut behind him.

"Whoa indeed," Libra breathed.

I didn't say anything -- I was staring at the moonstone. In the middle of the room, on a giant pedestal, was a large blue stone the size of a backpack. It glowed with its own light, illuminating the room.

"Unicorn fetus," Sagittarius squeaked, pointing at it. 

Pisces glared at him. "You ruined the moment, Sagg."

Aries stepped forward and inspected it. I noticed her hand was laced through with Capricorn's, who was also looking at the moonstone in wonder, but I didn't feel any of the usual jealousy I felt when I saw them like that. Weird.

"It's a unicorn fetus, all right," Aries said. "Come and look."

I went forward and inspected it. My eyes widened as I saw the little baby unicorn curled up in the middle of the stone. It was as if somebody had spread a blue resin over it, but I knew that it was just the moonstone's shell protecting the little guy.

"So that's what she meant," Taurus said, leaning over to look at the moonstone.

"Who?" Cancer asked.

"Mrs. Everson. Before I crashed in your prison, I made her tell me who had the moonstone before I returned her to the mansion." He shuddered. "She said that the first group that came there already knew -- it was one of the Eversons' friends."

"I remember," Gemini said, taking a picture of the moonstone. "They said that Sophie had contacted them --"

"Which means she knew them --" Virgo continued.

"And that she was their friend," I realized. "Oh jeez we've been in our enemy's house all along."

Scorpio gazed at the moonstone intently, then immediately looked up and widened his eyes, as if he sensed something. "Close your eyes," he warned.

We all did it and didn't bother to question him just as the lights turned on. I could see them through my eyelids. There was a bright, blaring red, and I blinked a few times before I could actually see.

"Blackout's over," Aquarius confirmed, looking around. The room was now flooded with bright white light, and I could see Capricorn and Cancer raising their hands to shield their face from the brightness.

"That was sudden," Aries said, blinking rapidly. I could hear the relief in her voice. I knew that she was scared of the dark for some reason, but I didn't know why.