Chapter 49 - Afraid

*time skip*

Scorpio POV

Scorpio POV

"Has anybody seen Libra?" Aries asked, stepping down the stairs carefully.

I pursed my lips as I remembered the way she used to hop down them like she was a squirrel. "Nope."

She frowned, lost in thought. "Weird. She came downstairs, though, right?"

I shook my head. "Probably not -- I wasn't paying attention."

Aries's brow furrowed. "Weird . . ." She stepped back and looked at the space in front of her for a moment. "Okay, triple that. I think I just felt someone move past me."

I scoffed. "Air conditioning, Aries."

She rolled her eyes and took out her phone, scrolling through her messages. I went over to her as she blocked off a certain contact, then put her phone away.

"What happened?" I asked.

"None of your business," she replied briskly, striding to the kitchen.

I folded my arms as Aquarius came in with a tub of cookies and cream.

"Where's . . . Taurus?" she groaned, trying to lift it up higher.

I took it from her and let out a small sound of surprise as I felt how heavy it was. Aquarius dusted her hands and gave me a pointed expression. I shrugged. "Cancer's room, I guess."

She nodded and pushed me. "Come on, up you go."

I stopped with an annoyed expression and handed it back to her. She sighed and lugged it up the stairs, stopping at the curve to give me an annoyed look. "That's the last time I ever conjure ice cream for you."

"I never asked," I pointed out.

Aquarius flipped her hair and continued up the stairs. I peeked out at the balcony, where Pisces was. She looked worried.

I opened the sliding glass door and joined her, shielding my face against the glare of the sun with my hand.

"Hey," she said as I leaned against the railing.

I nodded. "What's wrong?"

She sighed and put her head in her hands. I sent her a discreet look -- I hated it when she was worried.

"Can I tell you something?" she asked, her voice muffled.

Without hesitation I answered, "Of course."

Pisces raised her head and looked at me with a smile -- my face went red and I looked down as she nudged me playfully. "You're a giant softie, aren't you."

"I'm not," I mumbled.

Pisces laughed, the musical sound echoing through the empty trees. She cast a look back at the empty main room and closed sliding door, then lowered her voice. "I found a Jabberwock."