Chapter 39: Pretender (3)

Jin-Woo and Seung-Eun, or so the later assumed, rode a van to return home in the late afternoon. He was wrong, as evidenced by the trees at the side of the road and the ominous mood. 

It was quiet in the car. Seung-Eun peered outside the window. He had no idea where Jin-Woo planned to go and the trees were getting denser.

All kinds of scenarios, none of which are good, played in his head as they went  up the mountain.

'Did Hyung finally lost it? Or does he already have all the information?' As he stealthily cast a glimpse at the man, his palm began to sweat. Jin-Woo noticed but said nothing.

Seung-Eun's heart beat faster.

He thought of his assistant and still remembered that he hadn't thought of him how the human world works. His brother was already gone. And now he worried about Hae-Seong. Since Jin-Woo wasn't vengeful then the others would probably fine.   

They traveled along a trail for a short while before reaching a cliff. The view was good because you could see the skyscrapers from a great distance away. Large buildings appear little from a distance. However, Sung Jin-Woo didn't have a pleasant expression, and it didn't appear that he had brought him here merely for sightseeing.

It appeared as though the man was going to push him off the cliff and into death if he made a sound with his mouth.

As he calculated the distance between the cliff and the earth, Seung-Eun started to sweat profusely.

"Why are you examining the area below?"

Uncomfortably laughing, Seung-Eun said, "O-oh, it's nothing. Hyung, why did you bring me here?"

Jin-Woo paused, "From up here, the view is lovely." 

And then he fixed his gaze on him. "And I want to know how you were reawakened," He said.

It was supposed to be such a happy occasion but he was here interrogating the boy instead. He felt guilty, but there was an intuition, that he hadn't been reawakened recently. If he was wrong, then he would apologize and cleared all his doubts. 

Seung- Eun' lips were pursed. Jin-Woo was unable to fully read the look on his face because the fading sun cast a shadow across his eyes.

"Actually, I've been an S-rank hunter my entire life."

"......"

Even though Jin-Woo had mentally prepared himself, he was nevertheless surprised.

"What did you say?"

"When I lived in another country, I used to be an S-rank hunter. There was a reason I left so I came here with my brother to begin a new life."

"Huh... so... Seung-Eun, you have been lying to me the entire time." Jin-Woo found it hard to believe. He was visibly disappointed, and it was evident on his face.

People mocked him for being the weakest hunter when he was still at the lowest rank. Seung-Eun, on the other hand, was there to cheer him up. They were there for each other during difficult times. Jin-Woo was content that someone was there when the world was against him. Every day, he wanted to get stronger, so that he could protect him and he won't get hurt anymore.

But from the beginning, Seung-Eun had never needed him. He was the only one who was weak.

It was really ridiculous.

Seung-Eun refrained from meeting his eyes. Perhaps his guilt is genuine as well. "I just... I just want to begin a new life with my brother. Is it wrong? I don't want to be an S-rank hunter. I'm sick of people taking advantage of me."

"Then why did you reveal your identity?"

"Hyung, I'm currently alone. My brother is not here. Is it wrong for me to stand next to you? You seem to get more powerful every time I see you. I can only watch you from a distance as you meet with new people as your level keeps rising. What about me, then? I'm powerless to keep you safe. Isn't it good...? You have everyone now."

He didn't know what came out of his mouth. No, the script was not right.

"Hey..." 

As the boy's voice wavered, Jin-Woo approached, but Seung-Eun pushed his arm away.

"You don't need me anymore, Hyung. You have Jin-Ah, Jin-Ho, and other powerful hunters  are looking up at you right now. They are superior to me." Seung-Eun gave a light laugh.

"We haven't talked much recently, you've been going to higher rank dungeons, and there are more and more people surrounding you."

"If I was a D-rank hunter, I wouldn't be here."

"Are you going to abandon me as well, Jin-Woo?"

It seemed like, ever since he was a child, he had always been abandoned. 

Jin-Woo raised his hand and wiped Seung-Eun's eyes. "Don't cry."

Seung-Eun didn't even know whether the tears that fell down from his eyes were sincere.

Wasn't he just acting?

However, his heart was in pain.

He despised it.

Everything in this world...

"I'm sorry." Jin-Woo wrapped his arms around Seung-Eun.

"No..." It's not your fault. 

"I didn't try to understand your feelings."

"Hyung..."

"I'll never abandon you."

'I'm the selfish one here.' Even though Jin-Woo should be pain, he was the one who got embraced instead.

It appeared that the meticulously thought-out plan he had, went awry after meeting Jin-Woo.

From the first time encountering Sung Jin-Woo his life was not the same.

In the end, this cobweb full of lies, swallowed him whole.

'Jin-Woo, when the time comes, can you handle the truth?'

'Will you still give me the same answer?'

.

.

.

.

.

Author note:

Guys, my second year is starting soon and I have two months of attachment so I don't know when I can update. I still feel guilty for not posting for six months last time. 

Tbh, I don't even remember what happened in the previous chapters since this book has already been going on for more than a year, so please do comment anything that confuse you guys or the things that I haven't cleared up. I'll try to write about those parts.

More importantly, the Jeju Island arc is finally here!! This book will finally reach its end. xD