Chapter 27!

Jaci’s POV:

I couldn't believe she was no more. My heart always tells me she's alive. I haven't left our room, yes, I'm still in Carol's apartment lying in bed wearing her clothes so I can inhale her scent.

I heard somebody knocking on the door and I muttered in a faint voice, "Come in". I watched Carol's mother and father sit next to me.

"Jaci... it's been a week since you shut yourself in that room. Your parents are worried about you," they said gently. I can see that they suffer too. It is their daughter who is not here on earth, but they came to see me anyway.  Hearing my parents name made me angry.

"Uncle, never speak of my parents." They hated Carol and if they hadn't forced you to announce the marriage, Carol wouldn't have run away and it wouldn't have happened", I cried and Carol's mom hugged me. But I'm not feeling the peace and warmth of Carol. I miss her. I miss her so much. I also wish I had died with her.

“they are your parents and they do things which would good for you”, her dad tried to reason, but I gave him a death glare, “If you have come to talk about my parents, please leave”, I stated bluntly.

“No Jaci.. we want you to come to the office to attend a meeting," said her father.

“To office, why should I?”, I asked him in confusion.

"Since Carol is not here, there would be a meeting with all the major shareholders and we want you to be there on behalf of Carol. Carol would wish the same", her eyes were running in tears. Her mother began to cry. We cried so much for an hour and when we felt quiet, I decided I would do it for Carol. She worked hard for her shares.

"I'll be there," I said, and they left.

The next day, I got up early, took a shower, wore Carol's dress and started driving to the office. When I went into the boardroom, I felt small. I noticed Jordan smiling at me and I felt my anger going up. But I have to stay calm for my carol.

I sat on the other side because I didn't want to sit beside my parents and Jordan. And the meeting started with the members of the Board. They paid tribute to Carol with a couple of minutes of silence.

And one of the board member cleared his throat and said, “As you all know, one of our major shareholder is dead and also as Mr. Davis wants to step down as CEO, automatically the one with the major shares will be announced as CEO”, as he was saying Jordan tried to get up from his place to walk before as his face showed that he would be the next CEO. Was it not obvious? He is the heir of Mr. Davis now.. sole heir.

“We are here to officially announcing Ms. Jaci Brooks as CEO”, he said and asked me to come to the chair. It shocked me to hear that. How am I supposed to be? I thought to myself.

I saw Jordan fisting angrily and screaming, How can she be? I have 10% of shares in the company and I checked and no one had more than that."

Then another board member started talking, “ Ms. Carol Ann Davis bought 50% of shares before her death and she has nominated Ms.Jaci Brooks to be the one to get those shares after her death. Furthermore, Ms. Jaci holds 20% of the company's shares, so 70% of the shares on her behalf make her the CEO without conflict of interest."

"But I haven't bought anything," I whispered.

Suddenly, Carol's lawyer, Mrs. Beatrice, who also happens to be Carol's close friend, walked into the room, "You didn't, but Carol did," she announced to everyone. She had hurt in her eyes losing her friend but she acted professional, “I would be Ms. Jaci’s lawyer. So, if anyone has concerns, talk to me", she announced.

It's like my head is twisting. It is very hard to take everything. Carol has been buying shares in my name. Why she did it? I do not have answers to my name.

My thoughts were disturbed when someone said, "If Ms. Jaci Brooks does not have any concerns, she will be announced as the CEO."

"Jaci, don't do such a thing to me." Step down.. You know I waited for that day," begged Jordan.

I remained silent for a while. Carol would like me to. I thought of her and I went to the front and said, “I agree for Carol”.