Chapter 4: Battle of The Legitimized Bastards

The battle between the legitimized bastards was meant to take place tomorrow. The God of Light still somewhat shined, giving them the ability to remain outside and train. The grunts and clashing of swords mixed in with the chilling silent breeze of the air. The snow hadn't stopped falling for almost a week now, and the North was covered in it. Which told Sansa the reason Brienne wasn't back yet. A raven was sent out to Lady Sansa, claiming that she failed to gather her great uncles support in the battle. Sansa couldn't feel more uneasy about this. She hoped that it would be enough for the battle, but just in case it wasn't, she had one more trick up her sleeve. Another victorious route out of the Battle of the Bastards.

There wasn't much for Sansa to do around the camp. Winterfell stood on its own for miles, nothing but an empty small watch tower stood there. It wasn't like she was preparing to fight, and her only other friend in the North besides Brienne was Pod. Sansa spent her past day in her tent, sewing dresses and reading books to keep herself amused. Waiting for an anxiety-riddled battle wasn't something that came natural to her. In fact, anything that involved the possible death of someone she cares gravely for made her tense. She's dealt with way more of that than anyone could handle.

Sansa heard someone approaching her tent, she looked up nervously waiting for them to enter. Someone flickered with the tent material cursing as they failed to pull them back. Finallythe curtains drew back . Samwell Tarly entered, another man of the Night's Watch, also Jon's best friend.

"Sam, you frightened me" Sansa let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh, sorry about that. I only came in to talk. It would seem we haven't had enough to get to know each other properly" Samwell smiled politely at the girl.

Sansa was intrigued by the man simply wanting to know her. His overt friendliness worried her a bit, she didn't trust men like this. But if he was a friend of Jon's she figured she would let her walls come down a bit. Plus, she would take any conversation at this point, she was desperate. Sam spoke to her about his life, his family, how he ended up guarding the wall, and his woman Gilly. Sansa couldn't believe that he still spoke with a smile on his face after everything they've been through beyond the wall.

"Do you think we have a chance, do you really think we can beat the dead?" Sansa felt ridiculous saying these words out loud, but she knew it was true.

"I really hope so," Sam replied honestly.

Samwell went back to his tent with Gilly, while Sansa snuck out of hers. She needed to meet with someone before the battle began, that one last trick up her sleeve. Sansa informed Jon that she was just going to this tower to take a look inside, nothing else. Jon felt suspicious about his sister's request, but he knew nothing dangerous was up there so he allowed it. Sansa rode her horse for a few miles before reaching the entry of the tower. She lifted her head for what felt like centuries, the tower was huge. Then she went inside.

While Sansa was off in secrecy, her knight and squire had just returned to camp. Brienne was left feeling defeated after not being able to convince Sansa's uncle that this was a battle worth fighting for. She was too afraid to confront the girl, and everyone else, knowing she couldn't complete one task.

"You're too hard on yourself, Brienne," Pod reminded the tall blonde.

"I know Pod" Brienne only spoke to convince him she was okay.

As much as she didn't want to she figured it was time to look for Sansa. Brienne and Pod returned their horses to where they were set to stay until the battle. A defeated Brienne and a worrisome Podrick made their way to Lady Sansa's tent to talk with her, but they were intercepted by Jon.

"If you're looking for my sister, she went off in that tower," Jon pointed out.

"What's she doing out there" Pod beat Brienne to the question.