Chapter 59: Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things

After riding eighteen straight days on horseback for the first time in her life, Ilizabeth finally stood with her uncle, sore and small, outside the gates of Castle Black. Seeing as to how she remained in the North and her name day had come and gone like the ever changing seasons, they tried to make as few stops as possible. Most of them pertained to rest, bathroom breaks, or feeding themselves and Winter who quickly doubled in size. He was no longer the tiny pup she and Jon could hold in their arms, but a heavy beast who still had plenty more growing to do. In spite of the goat he killed and devoured as they passed through a series of small villages. Still the journey to Jon's home beyond the remained many miles off, and the journey to the Land of Always Winter was even further.

Her back ached, but not more than the innards of her thighs, or maybe it was her core. After the eleventh day, she could no longer pinpoint exactly where it hurt. All she knew was that the journey wasn't nearly as entertaining as she imagined it to be. Although she desperately wanted to collapse onto anything deemed remotely comfortable, the satisfaction of arriving at their first checkpoint kept her upright, for now. The sun had been rising in the east for a few hours, casting a frosty winter morning dew over the castle with its light. Despite the subtle warmth of the rays, Ilizabeth snuggled further into her fur overcoat. She nervously listened to the chatter coming from behind the wooden doors that prevented her from seeing anything beyond the dark cobblestone walls. Ilizabeth heard many stories about the men who resided at Castle Black.

What once used to be a brotherhood sworn to protect the North from freefolk and white walkers, had become more of a home for cripples, bastards, and broken things. While some of the population consisted of what little remained of the men of the Night's Watch, most of the men here were the less fortunate with no other place to go. Some were also men who were accused of committing crimes that didn't necessarily cause for execution, like thieving and raping. But they typically came from the southern region. Ilizabeth recalled the few men her mothers had forced to take the black. There were exactly three, and all of them had been repeat offenders when it came to stealing. Their mothers typically saw thieves as those in need and tried to do their best in providing them with that, but some people never learned.

A horn sounded into the sky, then a husky voice commanded for the gates to be opened. After a few heavy footsteps rustled through the snow, they began to peel open loudly. Jon pulled the horse with the carriage first, and Ilizabeth followed behind. The people on the ground ceased working, their pails remained empty, their saddles unfinished, and their horses untamed. All in sight of not only a high born girl at Castle Black, but to those who recognized her, the Princess of Winterfell. She tried not to look upon every face here, but still she caught some. They didn't look as lifeless as she remembered her uncle described some of them to be. He dismounted his horse, and collected the reigns of Ilizabeth's horse before excusing himself to put them in the stables where they belonged. They were only meant to stop and rest here for a day, come next morning they'd be on the other side of the Wall, heading deeper into Winter.

Despite having most of the castle's attention, her eyes remained fixated on something much larger, what remained of the Wall. She recalled hearing about the seven hundred foot high structure, fortified with ice and magic to keep wights, wildlings, and other threats from reaching their civilization, but hearing and seeing were two different things. She also recalled hearing about how a good portion of it came down, taking the Eastwatch castle out with it. Still it remained immensely intimidating from Castle Black to Shadow Tower.

"If you want, we can go up there," Jon said, snapping her back to reality.

She directed her attention to the man who returned to her side with Winter and two chests held in both hands. Then she looked back up at the Wall. If she stared any longer she feared the whole thing would come toppling down over her.