Chapter 62: Negotiate

Most of the windows in the Great Keep were propped open wide today. The sun beamed down bright over Winterfell, making it significantly warmer than it had been over the past few months. Day by day the heeps of pretty white snow vanished into the dirt and turned it to mush. The seasons were changing and a subtle breeze of the dawning spring air would satisfy those roaming the halls and castle grounds. It was still early and at least half of the castle was still sound asleep, except for those who occupied castle working jobs, most of their work was meant to get started before the Queens rose.

Although Brienne slept as if she was in a bear in hibernation, flat on her back with one arm over her head, the other on her stomach, and her legs sprawled apart, Sansa opened her eyes for the first time today. She wished she could remain in a deep slumber. It would prevent her from having to deal with today's reality. Something she'd been desperately trying to escape for some time now. But she wasn't a deep sleeper like her wife, and the three knocks outside their door snapped her directly out of her wonderfully imaginative dream. Sansa didn't move. She remained on her side, knees tucked together, with her back to the door as it opened and closed. A brief moment of silence went by, then she spoke.

"Good morning, Lena,"

"Good morning, Your Grace" Lena finally spoke up. "I do believe it is time to rise for the day. Shall I draw your curtains, and bring you something to eat?"

"Yes, that is fine. Thank you, Lena," Sansa said.

The worn out soles of Lena's boots cluttered lightly against the stone as she moved deeper into the room. She opened the wooden boards that covered the window and pinned the thin ocean blue curtains against them. At this point Sansa could see her, she wore her hair pinned back with a floral clip, a thin wool gown that was still probably just a bit too thick for the changing weather, and the same boots Sansa had seen her in for years. They were originally black, but the constant wear gave them a more dusky complexion, and a few patchy holes formed on the outskirts of her right shoe.

"Lena, you need new boots," Sansa said plainly.

She looked down at her feet before turning to face the Queen finally. Sansa could see the insecurity in her eyes, the shame that was brewing inside of the woman. Despite having just woken up, the Queen was as always, a great beauty, and her comment didn't make the woman feel any better about herself or her family's financial position.

"I know, Your Grace. I shall get a new pair very soon,"

"After you're done serving breakfast send Maedalyn or another maiden in to finish up," Sansa spoke softly as she removed herself from the bed. She walked on the balls of her bare feet until arriving at the dresser where she kept extra coins hidden in the last drawer. Sansa opened the drawer, then the sac, and handed the woman six shiny coins. "Go and see Donal, he will make you a new pair,"

"I couldn't take this, Your Grace," She hesitated.

"Your Queen insists," Sansa said while holding her hand out.

The coins chimed as they plopped down into the overworked hands of Lena. She curtsied while thanking the Queen fruitfully. Then presumably scurried off to the kitchen. Sansa now stood stretching and yawning at the foot of her bed in a shale pink nightgown that stopped at her shins. She hadn't noticed that Storm naturally woke up whenever she did, not until the wolf was practically standing between her legs begging for attention.

"Good morning, Storm," Sansa smiled lightly while rubbing her soft head.

She knelt down now, meeting the wolf at eye level. Her beautiful light grey coat was fluffed, as it was brushed by the Queen daily and her pearl blue eyes looked directly upon Sansa. She wasn't quite as big or scary looking as Sapphire. Although she was large, the hue of her coat and eyes gave her a majestically elegant look rather than a viscous one. She was more than suitable for a Queen as beautiful as Sansa. She resembled the same ferocity and beauty as a winter snow storm, so that's exactly what Sansa decided to name her.