Chapter 69: Hardly A Friend

The dragon flapped its large wings over the hickory trees. A singular whoosh tossed the snow from off the leaves and into the air. The flakes fell delicately, giving the Land a calm glacial aroma that was beyond breathtaking. Everything was white, and enchanted. Not a creature in sight. Granted, the dragon didn't fly low enough to spot them anyways.

Thanks to Ilizabeths control, there was a set destination on its mind and nothing would distract it from that. The intensely high winds brushed against its hard scales as it broke through the misty clouds. The dragon cut through wind like a freshly sharpened blade broke through flesh. Apart of Ilizabeth was still amazed something this magnificent existed, and that she was learning how to control it.

The horse sized beast seemed to only do more growing ever since it left the cave. Its wings grew longer, talons grew sharper, and appetite grew hungrier. Occasionally Ilizabeth would feel herself losing control whenever they would spot a roaming animal that looked appetizing to the dragon. But today they were focused, they were going to get to the Frozen Shore no matter what.

Ilizabeth wasn't one hundred percent sure of where she was going, but she knew if she flew south she'd eventually stumble upon it. The dragon dove below the clouds, now falling closer to land to get a better view. There were still miles and miles of land ahead of her, every frosted tree she passed heightened her urge to turn around and give up. But after taking a moment to focus on the dragon's keen sense of smell, the growing stench of salt gave her hope and a better sense of their proximity. She curved back up, now trying to return back above the clouds when she suddenly began to feel heavy. Ilizabeth recognized the feeling and tried to shake it, but the moment her eyes were blinded by the bright ball of light she was pulled back into reality.

The beautiful stainless silver hue of Ilizabeths iris was returned to the front of her head, along with her pupils, and a bit of shock. She laid flat on her back with her arms slightly sprawled out to the side, as she hopelessly stared up at the intense light coming from the sun. Her frustration festered, growing loud enough to tune out Raekul, who was clearly worried as she repeatedly called the girl's name. She could only hear the voices in her head, reminding her that she had failed to get to the Frozen Shore once again.

Despite it not necessarily being the main focus of their lessons, Ilizabeth desperately tried to fly over the shore. She was an overachiever, and nothing would make her feel more accomplished than finding viable land as she learned to control the dragon. Raekul let out a sigh before throwing her hands to her knees to stand. She hovered over Ilizabeth, sending a chill down the girl's spine as she blocked the sun from beaming down on her.

"You went too far again didn't you," Raekul extended her hand out to Ilizabeth.

"Possibly," She responded as she took it.

The woman grunted as she tugged on it roughly. Ilizabeth shot forward,into the air before she landed on both feet in a slight stumble. No matter how she positioned herself before warging, she somehow ended up laying in the snow. There were always cold clumps of flakes that wound up sticking to the backside of her fur. If they remained there for too long, the frost would seep into her clothing and freeze her from the inside out. So, she turned, allowing for Raekul to brush some of them off before facing her once more. Her eyes met with Raekul, they were a rich inky shade of green, and stared back at Ilizabeth seriously.

"I've told you a hundred times. The more space you put 'tween you and that dragon, the harder it is to control," Raekul reiterated, "You're still learning,"

"I know, I know. Sorry," Ilizabeth apologized.

Raekul had reminded her of this the last two times she successfully warged on command. She knew there wasn't much she could say. Nothing would get through Ily's thick skull. Instead of pushing the situation any further she grabbed their packs, handed Ilizabeths hers, and began making their way back towards the village.