Chapter 8: The Long Night

The people of Castle Winterfell were as quiet as a kitchen mice. Nothing to see but a few spaces glowing from the lit torches, and pure white snow blending in the shadow of darkness for miles.. Nothing to hear but the crackle coming from those flames, and the daunting wind rustling the leaves of the trees. Inside the Castle was a different story. Tormund and two men from the brotherhood returned back from Eastwatch declaring that the dead had already gotten past the wall. The news sent a chill down everyone who was going to be on the battlefield tonight's spine. A meeting was just held in the library of the Castle, they decided to go over the plan to defeat the dead one last time. After the meeting concluded everyone decided they were going to spend their last few hours enjoying themselves.

Jon Stark stood at the upper bridge of the castle with his good friends Samwell and Ed. Arya perused a promiscuous night with her old bastard friend Gendry. Bran sat underneath the only Weirwood tree in the castle's quarters, preparing himself for the battle. Sansa roamed the castle, gathering elderly and children just in case the dead passed their first line of defense. While Brienne prepared herself to get some rest before the long night.

Pod and Brienne entered the chambers they had been sleeping in since they arrived at Winterfell to find a group of men sitting in a circle around the fireplace. A smile grew on Pod's face when he realized he would finally have a moment to catch up with his old companion Tyrion. They haven't seen each other since Tyrion shipped him off with Brienne in King's Landing. Who knows if the Lannisters would have executed everyone Tyrion was associated with while he was on trial for the murder of King Joeoffrey. But they didn't want to find out.

"What are you all doing here?" Brienne was annoyed with the men.

"Relax, My Lady. We are just having a drink before the long night begins" Tyrion said pouring Pod and Brienne their own cups of ale.

"I don't drink" Brienne put her hand up pushing away the cup.

Tyrion shrugged, pouring Brienne's small cup into his own cup, which was significantly bigger. Pod went to grab a swig from his own cup when Brienne slapped his hand softly.

"I don't think that would be wise" Brienne didn't approve.

The rest of the men watched as the two had their encounter. Brienne looked at Podricks pouting expression, after all she never really did drink much with other men. It was something that all men took pleasure in. Brienne allowed Pod to drink but only that one cup and nothing more.

"I came in here to get some rest," Brienne huffed.

"Sit down. No one is sleeping tonight" Jamie insisted, pulling up a chair.

Brienne sat down in the chair Jamie moved for her, which conveniently was placed next to the big ginger wildling fellow that goes by the name of Tormund. He took enormous gulps from his mammoth tusk, which he obviously gloated about killing himself. The ale spilled all over his coat, and he did not look down once.

"So. I'm thinking tonight. You, Me, we make giant babies, no?" Tormund practically burped in her face.

Brienne didn't care to respond to the man's barbaric statement, this may be her last night alive. Ser Davos and Gilly entered the room as well, getting close to the fire pit to grab some warmth. He stated that he wasn't going to stay too long, but where else would he be?

"Ser Brienne of Tarth . . . My apologies, Lady Brienne. I hear you defeated the Hound" Tyrion tipped his chalice towards Brienne as a sign of gratitude.

"She's not a Ser? You're not a knight?" Tormund questioned with a shocked expression

"Women can't be knights," Brienne responded quickly, trying to end the discussion.