Chapter 29: Home

Sansa and Brienne had been traveling back to Castle Winterfell for almost fourteen straight days. Meaning the Queen had been away from her troops for well over a month. For some reason Sansa was nervous about returning home, she wondered if her people thought she was dead. Had they already moved on and found someone who wasn't a deemed degenerative woman to lead them?. As much as she understands what had to happen, it doesn't change the way she wishes things could've gone. Meanwhile, Brienne was just happy to be back with the woman she loved so dearly. The sight of Sansa waking and talking brought her so much happiness.

"I'm feeling a bit tired, my love" Sansa complained.

"We'll be there by sunrise if we keep moving," Brienne replied while still walking. "Can you keep going?"

"Yeah, I can" Sansa powered through her exhaustion.

They walked for another three miles, finally arriving in the vicinity of the castle. Sansa looked as if she was about to pass out which concerned Brienne. She figured if Sansa could walk this far all Brienne needed to do was carry her another few hundred feet and they'd be back behind the castle wall. Sansa allowed for herself to be lifted off of the ground. She wasn't sure if she was still tired from the illness or what, but all this walking with very little food and water was what she envisioned for herself as Queen. Her blonde knight carried her to the front gates demanding that they open up. The first person to come to the gate was Podrick then a few other knights followed.

"The Queen! The Queen and the Lord Commander! They're back! Open the bloody gates!"Podrick screamed at the knights in charge of drawing the gate.

The entirety of the castle rushed outside to see if what Podrick screamed was true. Once the gate opened, Brienne's quivering knees gave out, sending her straight to the ground with the Queen still in arms. Podrick and Ser Bael grabbed the Queen gently before calling for the Maester as they rushed her to her sleeping chambers. Two of the knights looked at Brienne in a panic, unsure of what to do.

"I'm alright. Just fetch me some bread and water please" Brienne managed to get back on her feet.

"Lord Commander, you're back!" Ser Galvin shouted from across the castle grounds.

Brienne was happy to see that so many people cared about them returning. Especially Ser Galvin being that they were at odds the first time they met. He put his arm around Brienne's waist to give her more support as she stood up. He insisted that she also go lay down, being that they had been traveling on foot for so long. Brienne was taken to the room next to Sansa's. It didn't take long for the Maester to finish up with Sansa and make sure Brienne was alright as well. The two were both okay, just exhausted and slightly dehydrated from their long journey. The castle was ordered to stay away from the Queen until she regained her health. So instead the knights of the Queensguard piled inside Brienne's room.

"I would say it's good to see your face Ser Bjorn but I'm just now realizing you're not as flattering as I thought " Brienne joked with the men.

"Lord Commander, It's nice to hear you've taken a liking to a strong lad like me. But word around here is you're already spoken for" Ser Biorn replied now laughing with the blonde

The whole room roared with loud laughter. This was different from what she was used to. She rarely formed bonds with those outside her circle, especially men. But when she looked at the men of the Queensguard sat in front of her right now, she began to see them as brothers.

"If you're here, I take it things in Last Hearth went well" Brienne inquired.

"The Lady Hand is a tough one. Last Hearth has a new Lord in charge, Quelin Parkler. A nice strong young lad, already wed and a baby on the way. He had taken charge of the castle almost immediately after their return from the Long Night, the people already looked up to him. Made our jobs a hell of a lot easier." Ser Galvin chimed in.