Chapter 74: Elyia

Ilizabeth's thick single braid whipped over her shoulder as she sprawled her arms across the hut. It was almost as if she were a kraken, hastily grabbing at as many of her things as she could with her tentacles. She flooded her pack with all of the essentials she'd need for today. Water, bread, and the broken bits of charred deer she tucked away last night. She started to grab her weapon belt, but figured a castle-forged blade wouldn't help her catch something as fast as a deer or boar. Once she realized she'd have to borrow a spear or a bow from one of her friends she sighed in great satisfaction and charged toward the curtain.

"Wait!" Jon called from over the firepit.

Ilizabeth halted, now turning back around with wide eyes and an even wider smile. If she wasn't already trying to flee the hut in sheer excitement, she'd be trying to escape in pure fear of the meal her uncle was cooking. Jon stood over the bubbling pot dressed in the clothes he wore underneath his fur; tights and a loosely fitted chemise. Rakeul had spent the night, just as she did ever since they arrived upon the Frozen Shore fifteen days ago. She promised Ilizabeth that she'd make Jon a better cook which explained his current actions, but not why he was at it alone.

"Walk me through what you're going to do again,"

"My word, Uncle! I've said it nearly five times now," Ilizabeth threw her hands up.

"One more time can't hurt," He insisted.

Ilizabeth rolled her eyes before starting her list, "After I meet with the others, we're going to go to Bolkar and listen to every word he has to say about hunting near the Shore. We will not go anywhere near the Lands, or the split in the ground. We start making our way back the second the sun starts setting and underneath absolutely no circumstances, will I stray from the group. May I go now please?"

"I'm serious, Ily," He warned as he continued to stir the pot.

"You're the most serious person I know, uncle," She smiled, "I promise, I will follow all of your rules,"

He gave her a look. A look that suggested a genuine hesitation in letting her roam the shore. He was borderline fearful, and she'd never quite seen him that concerned before. Between the crack and the creatures, Jon didn't know what to anticipate from anything or anyone, and that constantly kept him off his toes. Thankfully, Ilizabeth understood her uncle's concern. He'd never forgive himself if something happened to her, and neither would her mothers. Ilizabeth ignored the wicked scent of crushed bugs, nutty fruit, and boiling deer meat and rushed to give Jon a hug. He groaned slightly upon impact but smiled nonetheless.

"I love you, Uncle Jon," She said just as she let go.

"I love you too,"

Seconds later, Ilizabeth was on the other side of the curtain. She naturally closed her eyes and spread her wings as she inhaled the cool salt. The Frozen Shore was something Ilizabeth knew she'd never get used to, and not in a bad way. But in a way that suggested she'd feel she was stepping outside for the first time all over again, each morning that she did. Something about standing on a beach of ice made her feel so free and unalloyed. During the day, their section of the Bay of Ice was exactly as it sounded. The waves of jagged ice shards would curl to large heights and crash together, sounding off like windchimes as they washed up on the shore. At night, the waves would turn solid and remain frozen in the air as if her Uncle Bran had stopped time himself. The roar of the beach would cease and allow for the winds of permanent winter to take up space. Ilizabeth opened her eyes, eager to see it all. Yet was incredibly disappointed when she was not met with the huts staggering along the ice blue shore, but instead, received a perfect view of Raekul.

"What are you doing?" The woman raised a brow.

Ilizabeth looked to her arms which were still sprawled out like an eagle, then she dropped them at her waist, "I-I was just taking it all in,"