Chapter 53: What I See

The chatter coming from behind the walls of Castle Winterfell settled as the moon took the sun's position for what would be the next several hours. While the townspeople readied their homes and children for bedtime, the Queens walked hand in hand through the torch lit halls of the Keep.

Anyone who typically roamed the halls at this hour had probably ran into them before, as they did this every night in an attempt to tire their minds before bed. Whilst on their way to say goodnight to the children, they took extra twists and turns in order to catch each other up on their very busy day. Although they ruled together, it didn't mean that they'd spend every waking moment together. No matter how badly they wished for it.

Being that it was on the same floor, the first stop was always at Ilizabeth's room. And as always, she decided to rest in the comfort of her twin brother's room. The concept of wanting to be around ones sibling as often as they wished was foreign to Brienne and Sansa. It was especially strange to Sansa being that when she was little she couldn't stand being around Arya or her younger brothers. Then again they didn't share a womb or clothing or diapers, or anything in the way the twins did.

"Those two are attached at the hip," Brienne stated.

"As usual . . ." Sansa trailed off. "Unless you think she's gone off with Gabrin?"

"What makes you say that?" Brienne stopped dead in her tracks.

Sansa tried to keep a serious face, but she failed miserably. Instead she laughed, loudly and obnoxiously as her wife held a look in opposition.

"You must think you're clever," Brienne rolled her eyes.

"I'm laughing, aren't I?" Sansa teased. She let a few more chuckles slip as she reattached her hand to Brienne's.

"You jest, but training with the two of them is nearly impossible." Brienne scoffed as they now turned in the other direction. "Always making eyes at one another, it's a distraction."

Sansa didn't respond, which her wife noticed. Brienne turned to her wife, now raising a brow. She took note of the redhead's expression, realizing that the silence was Sansa holding back her words.

"What is it?"

"They like each other, it's natural, my love. Sansa said. "Plus, I recall us doing the same,"

"Us? When?" Brienne questioned.

"When you and Podrick spent your days training, I'd stand on the balcony watching you for hours," Sansa grinned. "I remember thinking swordplay was quite boring until I watched you do it,"

"I must be good then, " She replied with a sarcastic gloat.

"It wasn't that per se, although you are an excellent swordsman, my love. I just think it was because I was captivated by you. Back then, I'd watch you use the chamber pot if you allowed, I just wanted to be near you," Sansa explained.

"The chamber pot?" Brienne let out a dry laugh. "I love you too but, maybe not that much,"

That comment earned her shove. Sansa barely put any actual effort into sending her back but even if she had, the Lord Commander was often an immovable force. They walked down the stairs in silence allowing for the sound of crackling flame from the torches, and the pitter of their shoes to echo through the stairwell.

"Am I the only woman you've ever loved?" Brienne blurted.

Sansa felt her heart stop for a moment. She was a bit taken aback by a question like that, and even more because she had never really thought about it before. Although they were now standing outside their son's bedchamber, Sansa figured she should still answer it.