Chapter 40: The Cleanup

The emotions of Castle Winterfell were at an all time high. Outside the trees and leaves of the Godswood sat still with contempt, sleeping dormantly, after being fed less than sixty northern souls. A gust of whistling wind bless, sending the leaves of a tree from off their branches in a swirling motion. The bell of the forest turned as it swallowed them whole, taking their loved ones away forever.

Those who made it out alive now cowered behind the cold lifeless walls of theory homes. Trembling in complete darkness as they feared this would be yet another long night. While those who didn't, remained crushed and buried, as the sky continued to sprinkle piles of white dust onto their backs

Podrick roamed the castle grounds, his expression sat blank, as his dark eyes began to disassociate from the moment. There wasn't a single soul still outside. Apart from him and the corpse of his wife. He wandered aimlessly as his autonomy put one foot in front of the other. Ilizabeths arm rocked back and forth, hitting Podricks leg as they bounced up and down slightly. For the first time in Podricks life, his mind went blank.

His internal voice was silenced, his memories vanished. He walked against the cold, as nothing but a hollow gutted shell. There was nothing that could be done for Ilizabeth. The arrow pierced through her heart, killing her immediately on impact. He couldn't bring himself to look at her. He couldn't even bring himself to shut her eyes, leaving them open wide as her head hung upside down.

His movement came to a halt, before turning his head to the three story building beside him. The lack of candle light pouring from the windows suggested that no one was inside the Maesters Turret.

He moved towards the door, finally deciding to save himself from the harsh winter. The door creaked faintly as Podrick twisted the old rusted door handle before opening it. He could barely see anything as he moved deeper into the pitch black darkness. The heels of his boots clacked against the cobblestone, echoing through the silence of the room. He suddenly collided with something. His feet stumbled backwards as he tried to keep him and the girl upright. A long rectangular table sat in the middle of the room. Maester Horden used to examine people when they were sick or injured.

Podrick's numb feeling began to thaw like ice. As the feeling returned to his body, his arms began to shake violently. He decided to give himself a break and gently laid the girl down on top of the cloaked table.

Finally gaining the courage to look at the girl, a sharp pain pierced his chest, as if he was shot too. His eyes became glossy, like a marble and his lips started to quiver as his expression broke. A small light poured through the window at the back wall, shining down on her face. He placed his hand over her eyes and took a deep breath before closing them forever.

A multitude of glowing concoctions bubbled in the vials that sat across the Maesters desk. He stared at them, watching the liquid slosh around and his mind slipped into a trance. Flashback of the horrifying sounds of the events that just occurred came first, then he imagined his wife and friends dying again. The man sat on a solo wooden stool with his back pressed against the cold castle wall. He laid his head back against it, now feeling the chill of the stone against the back of his scalp.

He broke completely, now filling the chamber with the sustained resonance of his cries. His heart ached tremendously. The man closed his eyes after beginning to hyperventilate. Once his breathing settled, a tiredness washed over him. Just before he drifted into a deep slumber he sent out a small prayer to the Old Gods. A prayer asking to ensure that when he woke up, the girl would too.

Brienne had planned to sit up with the Queen all through the night. Adrenaline still coursed through her body anxiously. It didn't help that her children's birth confined her to the room where ensure all of the enemies were dead and the castle was safe. She couldn;t settle her mind from racing in the dark.