Chapter 17: A Secret in Tarth

Brienne and Sansa spent the day enjoying Tarth, of course at the request of Queen Sansa Stark. Brienne showed her everything they could get to with the time they had, which wasn't much. They visited the ship harbors, the shore, the sapphire mines, and small niche places Brienne spent as a child. Sansa's favorite part may have been the farm where the Lord Commander mentioned learning to fight with farm animals. At first her heart ached at the thought of Brienne beating sheep with a wooden sword until she told a few stories in which the sheep hit back. Sansa laughed hysterically when Brienne lifted up her shirt revealing a small scar just underneath her right breast. She couldn;t understand why she found the whole thing to be so humorous, but the image of young lanky Brienne fighting farm animals and failing practically turned her stomach inside out.

When they returned back to their sleeping quarters, the sun had started to set. Sansa stood looking out the small window of the castle suspended thousands of feet into the air. Her heart fluttered in awe of the beauty of the sunlight on the horizon. She watched intensely with the hopes that she would never forget the way the big yellow circle was reflected on the surface of the crashing sapphire blue waves. She never imagined loving anything nearly as much as she loved the snow, but the warmth of Tarth produced great serotonin within the girl. Lost in a sea of bliss, Sansa didn't notice that Brienne began to change into a different set of clothing. The motion in her peripheral vision snapped her out of her trance, as she now furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Where are you going,, it's getting late" Sansa turned, now walking towards the bed in the middle of the vibrant colored room.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot to tell you. I'm going to meet with Moira. The girl we met when we first arrived." Brienne said innocently.

"What for?" Sansa sounded annoyed.

"She asked me to come see her things, remember?" Brienne didn't realize Sansa's energy change. "Plus we're old friends and I'd love to catch up"

"Are you going to fuck her?" Sansa asked bitterly.

"What, why- why- what makes you say that?" Brienne could barely catch her tongue.

Brienne looked up now analyzing the fuming expression on the girl across from her. Sansa's face practically matched her hair, her eyebrows furrowed tightly and her arms crossed at her waist.. Brienne moved closer now joining Sansa by the bed.

"Why else would you wish to go to another girls' chamber at night?" Sansa was defensive.

"She's a friend, my love. Where is all this coming from?" Brienne questioned.

"When were you going to speak of your past relationship with Moira?" Sansa huffed.

"I-I- how did you know about that?" Brienne stuttered.

"Answer the question Brienne" Sansa said.

"I didn't know how. I didn't think it was important because you are the only woman I care for" Brienne tucked a piece of the girl's hair behind her ear.

"Did you love her?" Sansa whispered.

Brienne paused before responding. "Yes, for a time. But that was so long ago."

Sansa stood up, wishing to leave but Brienne grabbed her arm. She made Sansa look at her, so she could understand what was going on inside the girl's head. Sansa looked betrayed, truly hurt by the fact that Brienne kept this a secret from her.

"My love, please look at me" Brienne lifted her chin up. "Please sit, and I'll tell you everything"

Sansa and Brienne both sat down on the bed. Sansa curled her body, bringing her knees to her chest, securing it with her arms. Brienne took a deep breath before starting to open up.