Chapter 46: Winter Rose

A beautifully somber melody poured from the strings of the lyre, its tune came from behind the door of Rickon Stark's chamber, where he often practiced when he wasn't in the Godswood. The room was well lit with candles, seeing as the sun had just disappeared for the night, leaving his room darker than before. After a long day of training until his bones and muscles ached, he'd draw up a bath, and play the lyre until the melody increased his body's melatonin.

His fiery curls were pulled back into a low bun just above the nape of his neck. He sat beside the window where his desk held all of his sheet music. The dew dipped parchment pages were spread all across the lacquered wood, giving his room a messier appearance than his mother preferred it to be.

The two large wooden window covers did a decent job of keeping the cold out, but Rickon still felt a draft. He enjoyed the way it brushed against his skin, raising bumps in his skin and hairs on the back of his neck. The cold was where he felt he belonged, it was somewhere he thrived, like most Starks did. His left hand wrapped around the wooden bar on the further end of the instrument sat in his lap, while his right plucked away effortlessly as the smooth strings.

Whenever he played songs he knew so well he could play it backwards, he'd find himself lost in the moment. Completely captivated by the high frequencies that resonate with something beautiful inside him, he'd close his eyes and imagine himself somewhere else. Sometimes, it was at the top of the tallest structure in Westeros, other times he sat underneath a waterfall and matched the rhythm of its stream.

Right now, the boy was about to transcend into one of those different realities when his bedroom door flew open without any warning. He jumped out of his seat, causing his lyre to tumble out of his hand. It clattered to the ground leaving a discordance tune behind to bounce off the stone in reverberance. Luckily, it was still intact. He swiftly sweeped up his lyre, and placed it on top of all his sheet music before turning to whoever was at the door.

Ilizabeth stood in front of the door, with her clenched teeth showing apologetically. He noticed his sister wasn't dressed in her nightgown, but instead she wore one of the more elaborate ones their mother crafter for her. An emerald green gown, with long silk sleeves, silver jewels strategically placed along the bust and waist of the corset, and shiny sequin shoulder pads. Judging the length of its trail, Rickon knew his sister could only be up to one thing.

"The answer is no," Rickon turned his back to her.

"I haven't even asked you anything yet" She argued.

He turned back around, now noticing the enormous grin on her face, only he thought it made her look stupid. She could barely stand still. Her arms swung back and forth as rocked from toe to heel, struggling to contain her excitement about tonight.

"I need you to make sure mothers' don't find out where I am," Elizabeth finally asked.

"Where are you off to?" He gave in.

"Gabrin has invited me to the Glass Garden" Ilizabeth grinned sheepishly.

"I thought you said he was too afraid of Mother Bri?" He raised an eyebrow.

"He's gotten over that"

"You don't really believe that do you?" He asked.

"Rickon! You're my brother! You're supposed to be supporting me, not convincing me he's too afraid of mother to show" Ilizabeth whined.

She plopped down on the bed. Her blonde hair bounced as the springs of the firm mattress moved her. Ilizabeth sighed loudly as she began to fiddle with her fingers again.

"I just don't want you to be disappointed, Ily."

"I know, but I ... I really like him Rickon,"She nodded.