Chapter 56: Law and Order

It only took a moment for the news of King Brandon's arrival in Winterfell to reach Queen Sansa and Queen Brienne. Seconds after finding that dragons not only still existed, but that she could become one of them, Ilizabeth practically flew to her parents' bedchamber. Bran remained on the first floor of the Great Keep, despite his loyal Kingsguard offering to carry him and his chair up the many stairs. He waited patiently with his eyes roaming the comfortably familiar area and his Lord Commander right by his side.

Brienne and Sansa flew down the stairs holding their robes shut tightly as they lapped around the stairwell. The moment Sansa's bare feet left the last step, she froze in sight of her brother. He smiled warmly in finally seeing both women, ruling together, in person again. He was the first person to encourage Sansa to take the risk, and was glad to see his advice had paid off.

Sansa's stare remained fixated on the mature developments in Bran's features. Despite him being a man full grown the last time they were together, he was still young and basically hairless. Now he had celebrated thirty two name days, and had hair sprouting out all over his body. His beard was thick and so was his fuzzy shoulder length hair, and on top of it was the royal golden crown that seemed to fit their family well.

"I can't believe it's really you," Sansa rushed over to hug him.

She bent over and wrapped her arms around his broad boney shoulders tightly. His time in the chair kept him thin, thinner than most Stark men ever were. Although they were never a family known for having the largest men, there hadn't been a Stark as frail as Bran in decades. Still, despite being dressed in bright southern tan leather, the North suited him.

"It's good to see you, Sansa," Bran replied with his arms still being crushed by Sansa's grip. His eyes traveled to Brienne, "You as well, Your Grace,"

Brienne stood back watching the two interact with an empathetic smile. After the day they endured, she was glad to have something positive happening to them. She subconsciously examined the two men dressed in gold plated armor, completely forgetting that one of them was a dear old friend. Her eyes darted to his, which were already staring back at her through the eye slits carved into his helm.

"Let's talk in your private chambers, we must talk," Bran said. "Ser Barren will accompany us, Ser Jaime, you can stay,"

The shorter and younger member of the Kingsguard assembled behind Bran's chair and began to head back down the hall. Once the three disappeared behind one of the many doors in the hall, Jaime removed his helmet. A significant amount of his luscious blonde locks had turned silver, and remained swept off to the side, stopping just before his eyelids.

"Why haven't you said anything snarky yet?" Brienne questioned. His lack of words and expression began to toy with her own insecurities. She worried that he wouldn't jest, but instead would ask questions and challenge the legitimacy of her family.

"There are just too many to say," He flashed his infamous smug grin, "But I'm honestly glad to see you again"

He hugged her briefly and regretted it instantly. As soon as they broke apart they fell into a spell of laughter. It was something they'd rarely done, and felt more and more awkward whenever they tried to act as if they had that sort of friendship.

"As am I," She nodded.

"Say, do you remember when we first met and I asked if you fancied women and you told me no?" He paused, "Why did you lie?"

As much as she hated fueling Jaimes constantly playful mood she couldn't help but crack a smile. Anytime they encountered someone new and exposed them to their entire 'situation' Brienne found herself holding her breath, and it was always refreshing to speak with those who acknowledged that there simply was a new normality in Westeros.