Chapter 14: Winterfell Agrees

The thirteenth knock at Sansa's door echoed through the private chambers, its hollow wooden pounding began to disrupt her thought process. Now she grew angry, as she drifted further and further away from a calm state of mind. Her servants were doing their best to keep people outside and composed but leaving after making a statement as outrageous as that would cause a response exactly like this. Most of the women went about their days not giving the announcement of the Queen a second thought. They figured who the Queen married had little to do with keeping their children fed and their roofs solid. Those who remained were men, mainly religious fanatics who felt it was their duty to the Gods to inform the Queen that her love was forbidden and would not be seen as true in the eyes of the Old Gods. Sansa didn't wish to hear any of it, she felt that if the Old Gods truly didn't want her to have this, then they wouldn't have presented her with the feelings in the first place. She'd never really put much thought into the idea of faith, especially when she was at her lowest. But as things began to look up for the girl, she found herself believing again. In what, she wasn't sure, but she was glad to feel a second presence again.

Finally the Queen had enough, she stormed to the door of her chambers and flung it open harshly. A man wrapped in a religious robe stood at the front of the fleet. He thrusted his fist into the air, shouting unintelligible words as he flashed his almost toothless mouth.

"Your Grace, this is not the path the Gods intended for you!" He tried to push through the door.

"Apologies, Your Grace. We're doing our best out here" Quieran pushed back the people.

Sansa shut the door quickly, now panting in response to how overwhelming the small mob forming outside was. Brienne sat silently in the wooden chair by the window. Externally, she did a good job at masking her fear. But on the inside she was as frantic as a thief caught stealing.

"Maybe we should take it back" Brienne suggested

Though the pushback she received was expected, anticipating a response doesn't always aid in navigating the feelings that came with it. She felt it was unfair, that had a right to be happy, and the complaints of her people had nothing to do with the concern for the realm. Even after being broken in, emotionally tormented, and held captive, Sansa could still see through the smoke curated to block the people from what was truly important. So why couldn't they? Her anger practically spilled over, now sending Sansa storming back towards the door whilst ignoring Brienne's pleads to wait. She stepped outside her room and slammed the door behind her. The halls fell silent as the eys of the people fell upon a clearly angered Sansa.

"People of Winterfell. Need I remind you, that camping outside of my sleeping chambers to voice concerns and grievances is highly inappropriate." Sansa scolded them.

"I am your Queen, and I demand to be treated with more respect than this. I'm well aware of my duty to hear your concerns when it is in regards to the realm, not my personal relationship with the Gods. That being said, if anyone wishes to voice a concern about my pending marriage that pertains to the existence of the realm. I'd love to hear it. But anyone who stays on this line and speaks of the Gods will be hanged for treason. That way you can take your grievances up with them personally" Sansa addressed the crowd.

The people froze now growing wide eyed at the Queen's words. A few of the men took that as their queue to scurry away like mice. While others began to question their decision in appointing Sansa as Queen. Even from behind the door Brienne could hear the shocked grumbles of the crowd. She cringed in fear of Sansa losing her people before her legs developed their own autonomy. She joined Sansa outside of the chambers taking in the sights of the disgruntled people of the castle.

"I'd like to say something" Brienne appeared from behind Sansa.

Sansa was somewhat surprised to see Brienne addressing more than three people at a time. She too feared her words may have been a little too rash, and hoped that whatever Brienne had to say would aid in making things a little better. After all, they were only asking to be happy.