Chapter 16: Tarth

AUTHORS NOTE:
I kinda feel bad making Selwyn such a mean dad especially because in the show he's said to be somewhat kind to her and is the first person who taught her to fight. But she has other people in her corner so Brienne lovers, don't hate me. ENJOY!

The Queen isn't supposed to leave her post, not without leaving someone in charge. Before leaving for Tarth, Sansa tried to handle all of her affairs. But being that she still was out of touch with some of the North, she worried that filling her small council now would be more of a desperate move than a strategic one. She discovered that many people of Dreadfort fled after the Boltons stormed Winterfell. But there was a slight possibility that some remained there in hopes of being granted the castle when the Starks inevitably took back their home. The thought of dealing with an abandoned castle worried Sansa, she didn't know what to expect. Now that they were set to sail to Tarth, restoring the order of the Dreadfort would have to go to the topSansa's list of things to tackle immediately upon her return. The same thing went for Last Hearth.

Thankfully, Sansa was able to set aside some time to decide who would be her Hand and rule over Winterfell while she was gone. She felt that no one could be a better Hand than Lyanna Mormont. Although the girl was young, she was confident, she was strong, and she showed a sufficient level of loyalty that personally impressed the Queen. Being the Hand meant she would have to leave her home and live in Winterfell, but Sansa devised a plan to keep the Mormonts alive and well. They formed an agreement that one of the second oldest Glover boys would hold Bear Island until the Mormont girl became of age. She would marry a lowborn or a seventh son of her choosing and bare children with her family name, that way the Mormont dynasty would live on. The people of the North were truly baffled by the idea of a man letting go of his family name, regardless of his class level. But the Queen promised them a different world, a world that benefitted them all, and they were willing to see it through.

Already the young Mormont girl was being put to the test. Brienne and Sansa would be gone for at least two full moon cycles, and being in charge of the North this young was no easy task. Some of Sansa felt like it might've been too much but Brienne reminded her that a Hand should be just as fierce as their Queen. She was pretty confident in feeling that Lyanna was strong and respectable enough to keep all of the North together. She knew the young girl could handle being the Hand of the Queen.

Brienne and Sansa left from Widow's Watch, sailing south to the island of Tarth. Sansa was excited to visit, she'd never been and most importantly she was excited to meet Brienne's family. To see where the girl came from, and what made her who she is today. Brienne on the other hand was quite nervous to return home, she left about eight years ago, and was sure things had changed. Her younger sisters should be sixteen and twelve now. And her father, well who knows what he is up to. As they approached the docking point, they noticed three figures standing there. Brienne thought her family might have caught word about their arrival, but as the ship moved closer they realized it was just a few guards. The boat arrived at the dock, and the two were set to get off.

"Is that Brienne?" One looked in awe of how much the girl had grown.

"Hello, I am Ser Brienne Tarth of Evenfell Hall. This is Queen Sansa Stark, ruler of the North" Brienne introduced the two. "Please escort us to the castle that way we my father can receive us more properly"

The men's smiles were wiped off their faces by Brienne's words. They adjusted their form to a position more respectful for a Queen and a future heir. Sansa smiled at the men as she pulled Brienne further into Tarth. Eighteen men who had fully recovered from the Long Night accompanied the two women to Tarth, just as a safety precaution. They formed on the sides and behind the Queen and her future Queen as they walked towards the Evenfall Hall.