Chapter 24: The Red Wolf Pt.3

Ser Bjorn and Bael managed to sneak away from the Hawk and his men at the Dreadfort the next day. The two left with a few foot soldiers, tasked with scouting the area for any sign of Queen Sansa's troops. Podrick, Weslyy and Hardwin lagged behind them as they waited for the opportunity to reveal their presence. The twins tricked the other three men into heading out towards a nearby river so they could discreetly hide their bodies after they killed them. Halfway to the river the twins turned and simultaneously stuck their swords in the backs of two soldiers. The eyes of the last living footsoldier grew in terror as he realized what was happening. Ser Bael and Bjorn argued briefly over who got to kill him before realizing the man was now fleeing on foot. That's when Podrick and the other two knights appeared from the woods. Weslyy pierced his sword into the stomach of the man before pulling it out and watching him drop. They climbed down from their horses and dragged bodies deep into the forest.

The five managed to arrive at the camp just before the sun set. One of the Winterfell foot soldiers spotted them from the tower before sounding the horn.Their horses retreated towards the middle of the camp. As soon as the horses came to a complete stop the men climbed down from them with their heads on a swivel in search of the Queen. A soldier pointed to the tent where they would find the Queen. They stood outside of the tall black tent, announcing their names before the Queen. They followed the command of her voice and entered her tent.

"Your Grace, we're back" Ser Bael informed her.

"Did anyone follow you, was anyone suspicious of anything?" Sansa asked.

"No, Your Grace. We left with a few of their men, killed them, hid their bodies, and headed straight to the Weeping Waters" Ser Bjorn said confidently.

"God now tell me what you know." Sansa sat down.

"They've got less than two-hundred men. Captured a bunch of freefolk women too. They plan on using them to collect more men for their fight. He keeps them downstairs, and the men go down there and . . . I'm sure you can imagine the rest." Ser Bael informed the Queen.

"We're quite familiar with the Hawk too. There were a few bastards that were banned together in the Dreadfort, and Hawk was one of them. His real name might be Radcliff Snow and I think-" Ser Bjorn spoke but was interrupted by his brother.

"I told you not to mention that to the Queen" Ser Bael hit his brother.

"Mention what?" Sansa looked between the two.

"I think Hawk is Roose Bolton's bastard. When we were children one of the bastards in our group was always so bitter.Especially in sight of Lord Boltons and his relationship with Ramsay. The only thing is . . . he's not black of hair like the Boltons. But I wouldn't bring it to you if I didn't think it were true, Your Grace" Ser Bjorn continued.

Sansa could feel her stomach knot at the thought of the Boltons still living and breathing. She wasn't going to let him intimidate her,not this time. She was much smarter and stronger than she was the last time she encountered them and if the rumors were true, she had absolutely every plan in showing them that.

"So when do you think we'll have the best chance at succeeding our attack on the Dreadfort?" Sansa questioned.

"I say we ride back over there tonight, attack while it's dark. During the night most of the men are either drunk or underground with the women" Ser Bael answered.  "They're men are practically starving there anyways, the siege should go smoothly"

Brienne and Sansa heard everything they needed to. Ser Bael and Bjorn were dismissed so they could put their Queensguard armor back on. Brienne and Podrick readied the horses before mounting them to inform the rest of the men in the camp to prepare to move on the Dreadfort. Ser Galvin escorted the Queen back to her personal tent so she could await their siege safely. Sansa pulled back the curtains revealing Faran, she looked better than she did yesterday. She figured she must've been judging by the way she sat up stiffly sharpening the blade of her axe.