Chapter 54: Fifteenth Name Day

The weeks in the world of Westeros went by faster than some would have liked. The days grew shorter, the air grew colder, and the grass was now covered in at least five thick inches of pure white snow. While the Queens' of the North did their best to prepare themselves for their daughter's departure, Rickon gained some control over his visions.

He spent most of his time with Ser Malson. Although their situation finally began to churn into something of higher tolerance, the boy still found himself dreading the mornings where they would do nothing but chase cattle. The man rambled on about how swordplay required agility, and somehow he planned to teach Rickon that through observing the livestock.

His sister was not as fortunate when it came to controlling her ability. She hadn't been back inside the creature beyond the remains since that night. Which rendered her restless. Of course she continued to train with Brienne and Gabrin, and improved tremendously in a rather short period of time. She was finally given a chance to wield an actual sword, and proved to have the potential to be one of the greats with just three swift cuts. Although it was hard to admit, Brienne knew her daughter was as prepared as she would ever be, and that meant finally seeing her off.

The Stark family remained occupied with a multitude of tasks set for each day until today. From the moment the sun rose on this beautifully brisk day of white the people of Winterfell practically pranced around the town in a celebratory manner. The high spirit floated through every man, woman, boy, and girl as they gathered into the Great Hall for the twins' fifteenth name day.

From the aching feet of the common people born in the narrow alleyways of Wintertown, to the over inflated heads of every highborn who made it just in time for the feast and wine. For this day and this day only, it didn't matter where you came from or where you were going because the Queens' ensured this would be a day worth enjoying for everyone.

Although their infectious rays of smiles were strong enough to inflict even the evilest of people, it couldn't quite penetrate through the faces of Brienne and Sansa. Instead of sharing sesntional celebratoy feeling the townsmen felt, their expressions rendered spacious and still, as if a grande sense of permanent absence loomed over them. Like a singular grey cloud threatening them with its death riddled strikes of lightning and its ear splitting thunderous cries.

The Queens remained inside their bedchamber with the two handmaidens who helped prepare them for the celebration. They'd been inside for longer than they were meant, but who in the realm would question their tardiness. The sound of the thick woolen fabric rustling together swished like the leaves in a forest as Lena and Maedalyn zipped through the room.f

Sat somewhat absent-mindedly in a chair facing the large bed frame was Queen Sansa. Her head followed in whatever direction Lena tugged as she began to braid some of Sansa's hair neatly. Despite the Queen not having many words for Lena at this moment, she knew how important it was that the traditional northern braids that sat elegantly above the ears of the Queen are nothing short of perfection.

Lena's stomach gurgled while her mind pondered for the right words to speak. Something to pull the Queen's mind from a pit of nothing but overt fear and worry, but she came up with nothing. So she remained silent, and worked profusely to aid the Queen in any other way she could. She helped Sansa into the black feather embroidered gown that she spent weeks making, and tied all ten bows tightly at the back of the corset.

The dark black hue allowed her pale porcelain skin, pool blue eyes, and fiery red hair to stand out like a golden coin tossed into a pile of silver. Which was suitable for a Queen. The Lord Commander sat just as absently on the left side of the bed. Having spent a copious amount of time curating swear words to hurl at Maedalyn for simply asking whether or not she wanted to wear her crown, then being forced to apologize by her appalled wife, Brienne felt a loss for direction.