Chapter 20: Duty In Winterfell

When Sansa, Brienne and Ilizabeth arrived back in the North at Widow's Watch the snow seemed to have lightened up a bit. Instead of the horses legs being buried in the snow, it was really only a few inches about their hooves. The lack of snow brought their travel time back down. Sansa still hadn't gotten fully used to being accompanied by so many people. The amount of knights she acquired in Winterfell without having to ask was much bigger than the Queen anticipated. Despite leaving more than half of the knights in Winterfell, she still felt overwhelmed by the amount of men surrounding her. Now that Sansa was back in Winterfell she focused her mind on the many bullet points of her agenda. She wanted her realm to be united and organized, and her being in the south for several weeks couldn't have taken any steps towards that goal

The gates of Winterfell opened for their horses and carriage as soon as they arrived. The people gathered to welcome the Queen back home and show respect. Brienne stepped out of the carriage first, holding a hand out for the Queen as she stepped down next. Everyone was kneeling, waiting for Sansa to dismiss them.

"I'm very glad to be back in Winterfell" Sansa spoke, releasing everyone from their hold.

The crowd rose to their feet and welcomed the Queen home with many kind words and gestures. By the time Ily stepped out of the carriage, her look caught many people's attention. It was very easy to tell when someone wasn't from the North, the excess tan in their complexion made her stick out like a sore thumb. Ilizabeth's eyes roamed everywhere as if she was tracking down a fly to swat. Everything about Winterfell was so different from what she was used to. The layout of the land, the castle walls, the clothing, even the smell of the air was different. Her gaze fell to the ground excitedly as she reached her hand out to touch snow for the very first time.She bent down to swipe her hand across the fluffy white substance, shocked at how soft it was. A few moments later she began to feel a painful sting in her fingers.

Brienne and Sansa decided to take Ily inside the Castle to find her some food and warmth while they settled back in. Sansa ordered one of her handmaidens to escort Ily to the room she would be staying in. She also instructed the handmaiden to show the southern girl around the castle once she was settled in. She wanted Ilizabeth to know everything and see everything she desired in Winterfell. Brienne was so hungry she could eat her own horse, and Sansa was feeling quite peckish herself. They found themselves in the Queen's private dining quarters, sitting at the table waiting for the servant to bring something short of a feast.

"Here we are, Your Grace. All of your favorites. Suckling pig, fruits and vegetables, and last but not least lemon cakes" One handmaiden spoke while placing the trays onto the table.

"My absolute favorite" Sansa smiled widely before slipping a cake into her mouth.

"You'll spoil your meal by eating sweets first" Brienne chuckled at the girl.

"Have you ever had one?" Sansa ignored her lover's suggestions. Brienne shook her head no.

"Try it. It's absolutely delicious" Sansa picked up another cake.

She slipped the small yellow pastry into Brienne's mouth, waiting to see her reaction. Brienne's face dried up like a prune, she didn't enjoy that one bit.

"You don't like it?" Sansa sounded surprised.

"It's a little too... tart for my liking, my love." Brienne spoke truthfully.

"You are too tart" Sansa joked.

Brienne laughed dryly at how silly Sansa could be sometimes. Just as she opened her mouth to respond, the two were interrupted by a knight's knock at the door. Sansa wiped her mouth of white cream and sat at the side of her bottom lip before allowing for the man to enter. He announced that someone was waiting outside to see them when suddenly Podrick burst through the small gap of the door.