Chapter 22: The Red Wolf Pt. 1

Queen Sansa Stark walked through Winterfell accompanied by Ser Bael Snow of the Queensguard. She wanted to be sure the condition of her castle was in good standing before preparing to leave once again. Thankfully, she wasn't leaving the region this time, still the Queen belonged in the heart of the North. Sansa knew that if she wanted her kingdom to be united on all fronts, the condition of Last Hearth and the Dreadfort needed to be restored immediately. 

Although the constant praise she received on a day to day basis would suggest otherwise the Queen still feels she hasn't earned the respect of all of the North yet. She hoped that by securing the reinstallment of nobility to two of the most historic castles of the North, she'd finally feel the satisfaction she longed for. Brienne readied the horses before personally making sure the servants prepared the Queen's carriage properly. She made sure they supplied Sansa with plenty of water, wine, fruit, and anything the girl desired.

Commanding the Queensguard was a great honor and Brienne was more than grateful for the opportunity. Still, she couldn't help but feel jealous that Sansa chose Ser Bael Snow to accompany her on her walk through Winterfell. She tried to remind herself that in agreeing to this position, she also agreed to less personal time with the Queen. If she could kick herself for doing so right now, she would. She'd kick herself so hard that she'd fly back in time and convince her past self to turn it down.

Queen Sansa Stark and Ser Bael Snow finally arrived at the front gates of Castle Winterfell. Many knights of Winterfell, and the Queensguard were going to accompany the Queen on this journey. Being that Sansa was in Kings Landing for all those years, she had no idea what to expect of her two neighboring castles, but as Queen she had a duty to assess the situation. The small Mormont woman pushed to the front of the fleet now side eyeing the men who refused to make room for her. Sansa let out a hushed snicker as she watched the men back away from the girl with their hands raised in surrenderance.

"Safe travels, Your Grace. The North is in good hands" Lyanna said confidently to the Queen.

"I have no doubts about that." Sansa nodded before turning her back to the girl.

The knights continued to wear their silver and grey chained armor, being that Winterfell simply didn't have the funds to supply all of her men with stronger armor. But with the help of the castle's newly appointed blacksmith, Celvin Leon, her Queensguard was finally equipped with strong, sleek, unifying gear. They were each given a full new set of black armor with a crowned snarling red wolf growling in the middle of the chest plate. The crowned Red Wolf was the Hand's idea, and acted as the new house sigil. So now, not only would the North forever resemble Queen Sansa Stark, but it would go on to resemble the evolution of the Stark name. They were also given new castle forged Valryian steel swords in hopes that they would use it to uphold the Queen's honor with their very last breaths. The commoners of Winterfell practically cowered at how the unification of their appearance resembled great strength. The men trotted through the snow now finding their horses to mount preparation for their depature. Brienne and Ser Galvin Dawghtery both motioned to mount the horse that would pull Sansa's carriage. They exchanged a look they thought no one else would see, but Sansa saw it all.

"Lord Commander, I assumed you'd be at the front of the fleet being that you're set to command the Queensgaurd." Ser Galvin spoke antagonistically.

"The Lord Commander must remain closest to the Queen at all times. You may take my place at the front of the fleet if it pleases you, or have I asked too much of you Ser Galvin" Brienne replied, crushing his arrogance with authority.

"No Ser" He gritted through his teeth while moving back from the horse.

"Lord Commander, a moment please" Sansa called for Brienne