thirty one; in a van?

Sanity. What a funny thing when you think about it. I guess you can really lose anything.

"In a van? A police van?" I look to Scott with wide eyes as he glances at me innocently. His silent shrug only adds to my questions. "That seemed like the right answer?"

Apparently after I met with Deaton and had my small mental breakdown, they had their own. Like seriously, what part of that plan sounds like it will work out in our favor? I really can't leave these boys on their own. On par with that, I'm currently walking through the hallways of Beacon Hills Hospital with Scott, making our way towards Danny's room. Looking for some type of answer I'm hoping.

Scott walks in as Danny is finishing changing from his terrible hospital gown back into is regular clothes. He does most of talking until Danny searches through his wallet with an aspirated look, "Did the cops really have to take my fake ID?"

Scott ignores him and sighs before taking a slight step forward, "You didn't do anything to make Jackson angry?" Danny looks up at the both of letting a small smirk cover his face, "How angry?"

I roll my eyes before looking straight into Danny's, hoping he can feel my seriousness, "On a scale of one to ten...one being 'kind of irritated,' and ten 'wanting to kill you violently'?"

I watch as he continues to nonchalantly get changed and gather his stuff before he shrugs, "Jackson's kind of always at a four, but we're good. I was actually doing him a favor."

I feel my eyebrows cross in curiosity while Scott questions further, "What favor?

"I was recovering a video for him. I put it on my tablet," He suddenly looks up to the ceiling in annoyance as if a thought suddenly hits him. "Which is in the trunk of my car, and probably still at the club."

I feel a familiar sensation on my finger tips, looking at Danny intently. "What was on the video?" Whatever it is, it is important. I can feel it.

He seems put off by the question, looking down at the floor quickly, "I'm not really supposed to say."

I roll my shoulders in anticipation, the suspense starting to kill me. I loved horror movies, but it was always the mystery that made me want to skip to the end. I always wanted to know who the killer was and what made them do it.

Not just to know, but to understand. I look at Danny in slight desperation, "Danny, what if I told you this could be a matter of life and death?"

He only shrugs again, his resolve not giving in, "I'm not supposed to say."

Scott nods dejected, until his eyes lock onto the discarded wallet lying on the hospital bed. I feel my hope begin to raise as I catch onto his thought process. Smart Scotty-Boy.

"What if I told you you can get your fake I.D. back?"

How we didn't piece it together, I don't know. It was almost painfully obvious. I open my mouth to make nothing less than a sarcastic remark, but the sight of Scott's mom moving in full force towards us makes me stop. We both come to a halt, causing me to crash slightly into Scott's back.

"While I think you being here to check in on your friend is all sorts of commendable, I've gotta play tough mom right now, even though I'm not very good at it." She stares at Scott deeply, her glare only wavering slightly.

His eyes squint as he glances from her, to me, to behind her. Knowing time is of the essence, per usual, he looks anxious, "Right now?"

"Yes, right now," Her eyes never waver from his as she takes in a concerned deep breath, "I got a call from your principal. You are failing two classes?"

I feel bad as Scott glances back at me momentarily before looking down at the tile floor below us, "I-I know. And that's why I'm studying with Abby and Stiles right now."

I try to hide my eyeroll at the obvious lie, Mrs. McCall is not that dense. She looks at him with an even more concerned and I disappointed mom stare, "Do you know that if you fail even one of your midterms, that they're gonna hold you back?"

My eyes widen at the news, knowing Scott would never be able to handle being a grade behind us, nor would I. I step forward and stare at her with wide eyes, "Wait, he said that?"

"...yes," Her eyes meet mine for just a second, causing me to step back. Definitely a mom and son conversation, not a mom, son, and son's friend conversation. Although, I do admit the thought of Scott not being with us next year causes me to panic. She looks back to Scott with a deep regret, "All of your friends are gonna be juniors, while you are still a sophomore. Do you understand, Scott?"

I try to avoid her gaze as she searches her son's eyes for some type of understanding. He nods violently, reminding me slightly of Stiles, while grabbing my hand to side step her. "I cannot fail. I know."

Somehow that feels so much deeper than failing just sophomore year.

☾ ✩ ☽

I stand on the back pegs of Scott's bike as he pulls up the back of Danny's car. I hop off, my converse meeting the hard concrete ground. I watch as he pulls open the back trunk and I notice the safety mechanism hanging down, reaching up to touch it lightly. My eyes meet Scott's as he notices it as well, "What the hell did that?"

He reaches into the trunk, seeing it empty. He lifts the carpet and spare tire area, not a tape or tablet or anything alike. I sigh looking into the empty trunk, "And what the hell took it?"

"I think that's what we have to figure out." I roll my eyes annoyed, I had a bad feeling he was going to say that.

"Since when don't we have to figure it out?" I question, brining the trunk back down to close with a slam.

This is only the beginning.