twenty eight; ex's and hope

Jackson isn't dead.

I follow behind Scott as he races over to the body laying on the stretcher. I look Danny over and feel terrible for how his fun night turned out, "Danny."

His eyes look over at the sound of Scott's voice. He stares confused at the sight of us, "McCall, Abby, what are you guys doing here?"

"Just," Scott looks around nervously before meeting Danny's eyes again, "Uh, seeing if you're okay. And, um, I'm wondering if anything weird happened to you today."

I sigh and lean over closer to Danny sympathetically, "Besides getting paralyzed, obviously."

An EMT moves closer to us and grabs the edge of Danny's stretcher, "Sorry, but we need to get him to the hospital."

I take a step back to allow him to move, but Scott keeps where he is, "One more question, just one. Are you okay?"

"Did it happen to my ex too?" I send a small smile to Danny, catching his drift. Scott nods along with me.

Danny smirks lightly at the both of us, "Then I'm great." I pat Danny's hand lightly before the EMT takes his stretcher away and out of sight.

I sigh and turn to follow Scott to Stiles's Jeep. I climb into the backseat and cringe at the sight of Jackson's human, and naked, body there. Thankfully, the blanket covering him saved me from seeing anything I didn't want to see. I look into the front and look over to Stiles, "Well, we didn't get anything out of Danny."

Stiles just shakes his head and looks across the mass of cops surrounding the crime scene in front of us, "Okay, can we just get the hell outta here now, before one of my dad's deputies sees me?" I grimace as I see his fears have been confirmed. Suddenly a loud siren is heard and a very familiar sheriff car pulls up in front of the Jeep. Stiles's voices comes out anxious and rush as he sees what I do, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Could this get any worse?" I turn quickly and look at Jackson when a groan leaves his mouth, "That was rhetorical!"

Scott points to Mr. Stilinski's car, "Get rid of him." I hit his arm lightly as the words leave his mouth. He says it as if it's an easy task for Stiles.

Stiles's eyes bug slightly looking between Scott and I, "Get rid of him? We're at a crime scene, and he's the sheriff."

I can't help but laugh lightly when Scott's arm spastically fly in the air. That was a classic Stiles move. "Do something!"

Stiles now throws his arms up with a huff, opening the driver door. I groan and let my head fall back against the seat headrest, "You two have the worst reactions in these types of situations!"

My eyes widen as I feel Jackson rustle on the seat next to me. I reach over and lean over his body blocking him from sight, trying desperately to forget the fact that I was being forced to be near his naked body, "Jackson, now is the best of times for you to shut the hell up and lay down."

Jackson's voice mutters from behind me as he slowing stirs awake, "What's-what's going on?"

I lean over and lightly tap my hand against Jackson's cheek, "Hey, Jackass. I'm gonna need you to be as quiet as possible right now, okay? I know that's really hard for you, but come on."

I watch as Stiles and his dad continue to converse right near us and cringe when Jackson begins to try to sit up. I reach over and hit Scott grabbing his attention, "Our little frog friend here is waking up, you wanna help me?"

Scott looks down worriedly at Jackson's slowly wakening body and back at the sheriff's close proximity. I jump when Jackson half sits up and looks confusingly between the two of us, "What's going on-" I gasp lightly when Scott's fist meets Jackson's face and his punch knocks him unconscious once again. 

I meet Scott's eyes once Jackson falls back into the seat, "I'm so jealous you got to do that. Next time it's my turn, Scotty Boy."

                                       ☾                                   ☾                               ☾                                  ☾

"Call me when you figure out where you're keeping him," I tell the two in front of me with a raised eyebrow. They both nod before I reach over and give them both a departing hug. "Seriously. Make sure you keep me in the loop. Thanks for the ride home, Stiles."

"See you tomorrow, Abby." I smile at them both one last time before turning to face the house behind me I was expected to call home. But instead of feeling relieved when I entered, I only felt guilt and dread. This place will never feel like home to me. 

I cringe as my foot falls onto the stair and a creak echoes around the room. "Abigail," I jump slightly at the rugged voice behind me. "You're home late."

I turn to face my grandfather, as he stands in the front door way. My heart races at the idea of him watching me leave Stiles and Scott moments ago, but it was no secret I was friends with them. In a way, I felt bad for Allison, because she was the favored child, her actions were cared about more than my own. 

"Yeah, I was just out--" I'm cut off as the sound of my ringtone comes from my pocket. I send him a forced apologetic smile and pull out my phone. The name on the screen, sends my heart into my stomach. I look up to excuse myself, but Gerard is nowhere to be found. I let out a confused breath, before answering the call, "Deaton?

"Abigail?" I nod slowly before realizing it wouldn't help me much on the phone. He continues before I can utter a word, "I know it's late, but I think it's important you come see me as soon as you can."

I feel nerves grow within my body at the slight urgency in his voice, before I can think of anything else, my mouth was already moving, "I'm on my way now." 

I tighten the jacket around my body and silently exit the front door, not ten minutes after entering.

I felt the smallest spark of hope, that maybe I'd finally get some answers.