thirty three; caught

Caught. We were caught. Well technically the other two were caught as Sheriff Stilinski put it, but still.

Caught.

I stand around a desk in the police station with Scott and Stiles, Allison on speaker phone. She apparently went home to the surprise of Lydia waiting for her last night, and to even more of a surprise she understands the exact language we are in need of to start understanding the Kanima.

"If Jackson doesn't know what he's doing, then he probably doesn't know that someone's controlling him." At this point, I don't think Jackass knows just about anything. I mean, changing into a big toad in the middle of the night to kill people and you don't even notice? C'mon.

Scott sighs looking at us slightly aspirated, "Or he doesn't remember."

I think back to when we were running around the town looking for Lydia, her completely forgotten memories of where she was or what she was doing. "What if this is like Lydia?" Both of their eyes meet mine as I try to finish piecing together the puzzle that has become our lives. "Like when she ran off and couldn't remember. A fugue state."

"He'd have to forget everything," Scott nods in agreement. "The murder-" Allison's voices cuts him off from the phone in front of us, "Getting rid of the blood."

Stiles shakes his head in wonder, "Yeah, he had help with one thing though-the video. And someone else helped him forget that."

"It had to be whoever is controlling him. They don't want him to know," I try to think of who could have the power and want to murder this many people. There has to be a connection, somewhere, "We're sure Jackson has no clue about any of this?"

Stiles only roles his eyes and shrugs, "He thinks he's still becoming a werewolf and that being with Lydia somehow delayed the whole thing." I can't help agree with his tone of voice, that is absolutely ridiculous, even coming for Jackass.

"So we help convince him he's not. So we can figure out who the hell it is controlling him?" I ask, and the boys both stare at me blankly. I roll my eyes until Allison's voice comes through again, "Do you think he'll talk to us after what we did?"

Stiles shrugs nonchalantly, as if we didn't just kidnap and hold him against his will, "Yeah, it's us. He'll talk to us...right?"

I watch worriedly as Sheriff Stilinski pulls both boys into the interrogation room. I did tell them if they got arrested I wasn't going to bail them out! As soon as they walk into the room, I move closer and press my back against the wall. This is a conversation where I feel being nosey is okay, I need to hear as much of this as possible. Also, forgetting that I probably no longer need to use tactics like eavesdropping anymore.

The Sheriff's voices carries over to me as he begins speaking deeply to the boys, "You will not go within 50 feet of Jackson Whittemore. You will not speak to him. You will not approach him. You will not assault, or harass him, physically or psychologically-"

Nothing other than Stiles' voice cuts off his father's, "What about school?"

"You can attend classes while attempting to maintain a 50 foot distance." I hold in my groan as Stiles speaks yet again, with another rhetorical question, "Bu-okay, what if we both have to use the bathroom at the same time and there's only two stalls available and they're only right next to each other?" The question must be met with what I presume is a very meaningful look as Stiles answers it himself. "I'll just hold it."

I wince at the disappointed voice that follows next, "Do I need to remind you how lucky we are that they're not pressing charges?"

"Oh, come on, it was just a joke!" No Stiles, not the time for that. "I didn't think it would be taken this seriously. Dad, humor's very subjective, okay? I mean, we're talking, like, multiple levels of interpretation here.

I can hear the tiredness in the older man's words as he speaks again, "Okay, well, how exactly am I supposed to interpret the stolen prison transport van, huh?"

I guess at least they filled the tank?

I pull away from the door quickly as I hear a cough behind me. I turn to see Scott's mom giving me nothing less than a mother's stare before we're all standing together in the hallway. I watch Stiles and Scott immediately start to move closer to me, but before I can say a word they both are pulled to the sides by their parents. I try not to not over eavesdrop, that is until I hear something startling.

"Then no Stiles!" I watch as Mrs. McCall throws her arms up exhaustedly. "And no Abby."

"What?! No Stiles?" His eyes are wide as he slightly points to himself while staring at Scott's mom. I shake my head adamantly while looking at Scott with wide eyes, but it only takes one look from her to make us both pipe down. I wince as Scott's gaze meets mine momentarily with his distinct sad puppy look in them before glancing back to his mom.  

Her eyes turn from anger to concern quickly as she searches her sons face, as if she could find the answers written there, "What is going on with you?" Her eyes flicker to mine before she hushes her voice a small amount," Is this about Allison?" Oh Ms. McCall, this would all be so much easier if my poor sister was the cause of it all. Instead it's all psychotic Alphas and lizards that want to paralyze then murder you. Just a little more complicated tan teenage love and drama.

Scott watches her deeply before letting out a heavy sigh. I can see the weight of his secret pulling him down, lying to his mom was obviously not something he wanted to have to do. "Do you really wanna know?"

I turn to see Stiles starting to adamantly shake his head in disagreement. I groan silently and slap my hand against his forearm while casting him a glare. Unfortunately as complicated as it could makes things, Scott deciding to tell his mom would be completely up to him. We would just have to wake up tomorrow and deal with the repercussions, if it made our best friend feel better.

She sighs aspirated, "Yes. Is this about your father? It is, isn't it? Okay, you know what, um-" This time Stiles nods his head in agreement and I hold back the urge to slap him again and instead make eye contact with Scott across the hall. Trying my hardest I send him a look of understanding, I could tell that lying to his mom was really starting to weigh on him. Her eyes begin to sparkle with a slight tear before she breaks eye contact and moves back to the entrance of the station, "We'll talk about this at home. I'm gonna go get the car."

At that moment I realize I never hear much, or anything, about Scott's dad. Nor have I asked, making me not such a great best friend. Obviously he isn't here, so were is he? I lay a comforting hand on Scott's shoulder as he sighs dejectedly, "I'm the worst son ever."

Stiles moves over to us as well and I throw an arm around each of their shoulders as well as I could with them both being a few inches taller than me, "Guys, I really don't think any of us are winning kid of the year award unfortunately," They both turn to me with pointed looks and I wince lightly before forcing a small smile. "Sorry."

They both move forward to the front of the building, but before I can follow them I feel a familiar sensation begin in my fingertips, race up my hands, then my arms. Unlike other times before, I suddenly feel like my entire body is alight; buzzing.

Like someone is watching me.

Without a thought, I turn my head slowly to the right and see none other than a familiar pair of eyes staring directly back mine. Jackson's glare seems almost sinister as he slowly lets a sly grin stretch across his face. My eyes glare straight back into his, my body still feeling as though someone hooked a set of jumper cables to it before hitting full blast.

"Abby!" I jump slightly, the buzzing quickly residing, as I turn my gaze away before seeing Scott standing at the other end of the hall with a concerned expression across his face. I decide to not look back again, before making my way towards the comforting boy in front of me instead.