one; nothing

I feel the cold air rush over me, causing goosebumps to cover my skin. There is no sound, not even the sound of my own breathing. I slowly peel open my eyes tiredly and the first thing I see is the dull blueness of the sky above me. I inhale deeply and the brisk air causes my chest to tighten slightly. Time feels like its slowed down, like someone hit the slow motion button on my life.

I can't remember why I'm here, or even where here is. I blink my eyes rapidly and try to wake the rest of my body. I move my head to the side to see multi-colored leaves surrounding me on the ground.

Abigail Sagesse Argent.

My body uncontrollably bolts up at the sound of my name. The voice is unfamiliar and almost sounds translucent, as if the wind carried it towards me from far away. At this moment, everything comes back to me. I reach to my right collarbone to find the bloody, and most likely infected bite mark, but instead there's just clean uninjured skin.

I slowly lower my hand slowly and let my eyes widen. I can't be a werewolf. I shake my head and even though there is no other answer, I know that I'm not. Like something inside of me is telling me the answer is no.

I let my eyes wander around me before they land on a large tree trunk, sitting only a few feet away. I blink confused at the sight of it and tilt my head to the side. It looks as if it is glowing and the sunlight seems attracted to it as everything surrounding it is slightly darker than itself. I crawl to my knees before stumbling onto my feet. My bare feet crunch the leaves underneath them as I move towards the piece of nature. My eyes squint as the wind grows harsher with each step I take and I turn to my right as my ears pick up a sound from around me.

My hair blows out of my face with the wind and I shake my head trying to focus on the distant sound. Whispers. Hundreds, maybe even thousands, of them coming from every direction. Like the voice that said my voice, they sound like they are carried to me by the wind. They all melt together and I can't make out any distinct words. I turn back to the trunk in front of me and cautiously move forwards again. I move to cover my ears as the whispers grow louder as the distance between myself and the trunk decreases.

The wind grows more powerful and I realize the sun is slowly disappearing, being replaced by storm clouds above me. I know I should stop, but the missing tree almost calls out to me and I can't help myself. I fall onto my knees in front of the wood and at this point the whispers are almost unbearable. I remove my hands from my ears and groan slightly at the volume of the voices. I shake my head trying to make sense of them, but they just continue to speak over each other making it impossible. I look down and realize there are words carved into the wood in front of me. I recognize some of the words are in French and others are in English. I slowly reach out when I see three words I've never seen put together before.

Donneur De Sagesse.

The French words looks as if they start to glow and I lightly trace my fingers over them, but then I jolt back suddenly. I let out a gasp as I fall backwards, but instead of meeting the ground, the world around me turns black. I ascend backwards into the black nothingness and I quickly close my eyes in fear.

I feel pressure on my hand and snap my eyes open, sucking in a deep breath of air. I sit up, but instead of feeling leaves below me I feel something much softer. I look around me and see the familiar details of my room and I blink confused.

"Abby? Hey, it's okay. You're okay," I turn to my right to see Allison's concerned eyes connected with mine. I inhale deeply and realize it was a dream. I choke out a breathy laugh and shakily rub my eyes with my hands. "I heard you yelling, you were having a nightmare I think. Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head quickly, but give her a reassuring look, "No, I'm alright. Thanks, Al."

She smiles at me, but I can still see the worry hidden in her eyes. She slowly stands and leaves my room, I let my smile fall from my face now that she's gone. I lean back against my headboard and let out a puff of air.

I stand from my bed and my skin grows goosebumps as the cool air reaches my skin. The shorts and t-shirt covering my body don't do much to keep me warm. I shut my bedroom door and then feel my eyebrows cross in confusion. Why would they need to keep my warm..

I turn around quickly and cover my mouth to silence my own sounds of surprise. My shocked look quickly turns to one of anger as I stare at Derek, who's standing by my open bedroom window.

I glare heavily at him, "What the hell are you doing? You scared the crap out of me!" I whisper yell and move over to shut the window roughly. His eyes follow my movements and I feel heat rush to my face as I revisit my outfit, or lack there of. I cross my arms as he continues to not speak, "Are you just going to stand here and stare at me or are we going to have a conversation?"

His somewhat concerned look changes as he rolls his eyes and sighs dramatically. His eyes meet mine again, "I came to ask if you were okay."

I let out a small puff of air and shake my head slightly, "Yeah, no I'm fine. Well, I mean, besides the fact that just about everyone is walking on eggshells around me, my dad hasn't looked at me once since that night, you're psychotic alpha uncle bit me, and said bite has 'magically' healed, yet I'm nothing. How am I nothing? Not a werewolf and not dead," I raise my arms as I finish my long and sarcastic speech, but Derek only offers me a light glare. I let the sarcastic smile slowly fall before I shrug lightly, "I'm tired and grouchy, but yes I'm okay."

I fall back and sit lightly on my bed. I look back up to him and feel my next breath get caught in my throat as his eyes hold a certain look in them. I send him a small, but sincere smile, "Thank you for asking me, instead of just assuming that I'm some emotional wreck."

He looks away before sending a small smile and I let out a fake surprised gasp, "Oh, my god. Did big bad alpha Derek send me, Abigail Argent, a smile? Someone call the president, this is national news."

"Alright, I'm leaving." I let out a light laugh and jump from my spot before grabbing his arm as he turns back to the window.

"Hey, I'm kidding. Seriously, thank you. It means more than you think." I smile brightly at him and feel my face heat up slightly as his larger hand laces together with mine.

I look back as I hear knock on my door.

"Abby, something happened with Lydia. We have to go, meet me downstairs in five!" I grimace at the sound of Allison's voice, but sigh relieved as I hear her walk away from my door, before turning back to Derek.

I shrug sadly and let my hand slowly fall from his, "Duty calls," He nods before opening the window again and lifting one leg out of it.

I race over and quickly leave a kiss on his cheek before stepping back again, "I'll see you soon, right?" He turns back to me, and right before he falls from the window, he sends me a single large smirk and I literally feel like the air is removed from my body.

I continue to stare at the empty space where he just sat before rushing over to see the back yard empty of his presence.

I smirk brightly to myself and turn back around to get dressed.