twenty nine; its just a start

I take a deep breath and watch the door in front of me. Waiting for it to open, and for the man behind it hopefully bring me some answers.

"Get here as soon as you can."

The oxygen I'm nervously keeping hostage in my lungs was beginning to make my chest burn, when suddenly the door in front of me swings open and Deaton walks through. I immediately let out the breath I was holding onto so desperately as I move towards him. I take notice of the very old, and somewhat dirty, looking book in his hands. He gently places the book on the metal table between us before waving me over.

I move closer and let my sweaty hands rest against the cold metal, my eyes never leaving the book. "What is that?"

He looks up to me silently, inspecting my face briefly. I feel my gut twist in anticipation. The look on his face is one I've seen many times before; its the look you give someone when you wonder if they can handle the information they are about to receive.

He blinks quickly before looking back down to the book before us and he slowly flips open the leather cover to the middle of the book, "This is an antique book. Somewhat related to the beastiary that your family owns," I watch in wonder as he steadily browses the pages in the book.

Did he not at least bookmark the page?

Before I can question him, his voice halts my own, "Looking into this book was a long shot, and I almost decided against it, but I have to say I'm pleased that I changed my mind on the matter."

"What did you find, Deaton? The anticipation is killing me here." I can't help the words as they fall from my lips in a hopeful, but scared, fashion. His eyes move from the pages in front of him, to mine, and then back. All while he stays completely silent. I let out a long sigh and rub my eyes tiredly before looking back to the book myself.

I feel my eyes widen and my heart rate increases instantly as the words in front of me catch my attention. I look at the large, cursive, and black letters that title the old yellowish paper.

Donneur de Sagesse.

My hands instantly reach out and grab the book before pulling it closer to me. I let my fingers lightly trace over the words as the shock of seeing them, actually written somewhere, begins to fade away. "It's real?" I feel my eyes water in the slightest and a small relieved scoff/laugh leaves my mouth.

Deaton watches me as I continue to stare at the pages in front of me before nodding, "Yes, Abigail, it is real. I think you should sit down and let me explain to you what I have found out so far."

I look up confused by his words and shake my head lightly, "Sit down? I think I'll survive whatever it is you need to tell me. I've been waiting weeks to hear this, Deaton, I don't think I could be more ready."

He pulls a plastic, but somewhat comfortable, chair closer to me before taking a seat of his own, "Unfortunately, I don't have such confidence. Humor me and sit, just while we discuss what's in this book."

My nervous increase immensely as I slowly and unsteadily lower myself into the chair behind me. Once sitting, I nod to the veterinarian in front of me to continue speaking. He lets out a deep sigh before pulling the book onto his lap. I lean back and cross my arms tightly over my chest, attempting to prepare myself for whatever is about to happen.

He looks down to the words, neatly and expertly, written on the old pages before he begins, "So, this book begins with, what I would describe, as a definition of sorts. It explains that once every centuries, something of great power falls upon us. With such a great power, there needs to be a balance. No one being can have power without knowledge. That's where the Donneur de Sagesse comes in. They act as a," He briefly pauses, catching up on his own thoughts. "An all knowing being. This describes it as a rare woman born to guide one in life with her strength, intelligence, and, most importantly, her wisdom. Over the years, the Donnerur de Sagesse have become extremely rare and are only sought out when one of great power will arise."

My heart races faster each beat with each word that falls from his lips. "I don't-I don't understand. I'm failing chemistry, how am I supposed to have all of this intelligence?"

Deaton nods slowly before looking down to the pages in front of him. "The Donneur de Sagesse will have a thirst for knowledge and will be blessed with the ability to see danger, truth, past, and future. They have a supernatural knowledge that causes them to connect and be mindful of the supernatural beings around her. They are created to guide the one of power with their truth and wisdom. But with that comes danger. Their power can be used for bad just as easy as good."

"What-" I stand from the chair and pace the room slightly trying to regain my breathing. "What the hell is the one of power? Who the hell are they talking about? None of this makes any sense!"

I fall back into the chair and Deaton finally places the book back onto the table in front of us. "Unfortunately, I don't have many more answer for you at the moment. I only have one other thing for you."

I watch as he stands and leaves the room once again. I feel like stinging in the back of my eyes once he's left the room, but I push the feeling down when I hear the door reopen again. I notice again he has a book in his hands, but this one is much smaller and cleaner. Although the leather outside was worn and wrinkled, it was in a much better condition than the other book. He doesn't open the book, but instead places it lightly in my hands. "Once I found out about what you were, I started looking into the past. I knew there must have been ones before you. I was able to find this book from way before any of us where around. It's the journal of Celeste Sagesse Abram; Donneur de Sagesse."

I look down at the book in my hands and test the weight before looking back up at Deaton. Without thinking I reach out and pull him to me in a hug, "Thank you so much. You'll never know how much this means to me. I may not know much about any of this, but at least I am a step closer."

"You're welcome. I'm here to help you and Scott with anything I can," I pull away and look down again. "I will keep this between us until I see it becoming harmful to the others. I want you to make sure you're ready when you read this, I'm not sure what surprises you may find in it."

I give him one last nod of appreciation before turning towards the exit once again.

It was a start.