fifteen; strange occurrences

I jump awake as my alarm blares next to me. I squint at the clock and see I must have already hit snooze once or twice. It's already 9:30, might as well just miss the entire school day at this point.

I let a sigh leave my lips and fall back to the bed before letting my eyes fall shut. I feel my brow come close together in confusion when I hear the sound of someone moving around downstairs.

Immediately my heart goes into a pounding frenzy at the thought of who—or what—it could be. I jump up from my bed and grab the switch blade from my nightstand before I make my way to the stairs. I slowly move down them as I keep my eyes transfixed on the kitchen where the noise is coming from.

A sound of relief leaves me as I see my mom standing in the kitchen alone. I open my mouth to greet her, but she quickly turns around. I stop in my tracks and my eyes fall to her arm, which is currently covered in blood.

I race forward and grip her arm in my hands, "Oh, my god. Mom, what happened?"

Instead of expressing any form of pain, she looks to me with a hint of annoyance, "Why aren't you in school?"

I double take, alarmed at her lack of emotion, "I couldn't sleep last night. Are you okay? You're going to need stitches."

As if a switch was flipped, she sends me a pained smile, "I'm fine, honey. I'm going to take myself to the hospital. Would you mind just picking up the mess for me?"

I nod my head quickly, agreeing to her request, "Yeah, of course. Are you sure you don't want me to take you?"

Her eyes widen just the slightest, but I notice the small movement, "No, it's fine. It was just a cooking mishap. I'll see you when I get back."

She side steps me and moves to the front door before I can get in another word. I watch the scene around me, still slightly confused. I shake my head and move forward, but whats on the counter, or a lack of, stops me.

I look down at the few drops of blood, a large kitchen knife, and, well, that's it.

No food or anything that she could have been cutting to cause the incident. I slowly clean up the mess and move to leave the kitchen, the confusion still playing on my mind.

        ☾                  ☾                    ☾

I pull on my clean pajamas, but keep my wet hair wrapped in the towel on my head. I pick up my phone when I hear the signature sound of my ringtone, but when I see Scott's contact name flashing on the screen, I hit ignore and place it back down on the table.

I run my hands over my face tiredly and let out a deep sigh. I hate ignoring those who really don't deserve it, but the idea of talking to anyone today seems like too much work. I move over to my body length mirror and slowly raise the thin cotton shirt I'm wearing.

I let out a breath when the bruises I received last night where just about nearly gone and the pain was basically nonexistent. How can my body be healing at this rate?

I let the shirt drop and I try to ignore the rush of panic I feel as I fall back onto my bed. This isn't real, it can't be. If I'm not a werewolf, there shouldn't be any way for me to be healing, hearing, or having any of these abilities. I lay my head against my pillow and let my eyes fall closed again, but this time I actually manage to get some sleep.

I watch as the lizard-looking creature circles around me. My back is against the dirt and leaves currently covering the ground. I let out a shaky breath as it continues to move, but never comes any closer.

"What do you want?"

I hold my breath as it lets out a light hissing sound and I move back away from it. It watches me move with calculated eyes, but I continue to back away slowly without getting to my feet.