eight; paper balls

I stand with Scott and Stiles as the officers talk to Isaac, the new werewolf on the team.

"His father's dead. They think he was murdered." I watch with wide eyes as Stiles's dad leads Isaac away.

Stiles turns to Scott, "Are they saying he's a suspect?"

Without thinking I shake my defiantly, "No," Both Stiles and Scott look to me confused and I realize my mistake. They don't get how I'm hear them to know that. I stutter for a split second before letting the lie slip out, "I-I'm assuming their not. Why would he be a suspect?"

They both continue to stare silently and I hold my breath until Stiles rolls his eyes, "Uh, I don't know, maybe because he's a baby wolf?"

I let a silent sigh of relief leave my lips at the sound of Stiles' sarcasm. I nod my head pretending to think over his words. I ignore Scott as he continues to look at me suspiciously.

The group of police and Isaac finally leave the field. I cross my arms while my stress level rises filled with stress. So much freaking stress.

Stiles shrugs sarcastically, "Did either of you think of how they can lock him in a holding cell for 24 hours."

Scott looks at with him worry etched on his face, "Like, overnight?"

I nod along with them, "Which would mean he'd be there during the full moon."

Scott look between me and Stiles rapidly, "How good are these holding cells at holding people?"

Stiles shrugs thoughtfully, "People, good. Werewolves, probably not that good."

"Guys, remember when I said I don't have the urge to maim and kill?" We both nod and face the direction Isaac was being taken away. "He does."

☾     ☾      ☾

I sit between Stiles and Scott as Mr. Harris continues to write on the black board ahead of us.

I pull out my cellphone silently and hide it underneath the lab table in front of me. I peek at the two boys next to me and fortunately they are too wrapped up in their conversation to notice my actions. I quickly open a new message and type faster than the speed of light.

To: Alpha Broody

'Kinda sorta need to talk to you asap.'

Scott's voice brings my attention back from my phone as I slip it into my pocket again.

"Why would Derek choose Isaac?" I shrug and shake my head slowly. I had been thinking about that question for a while. There had to be some reasoning behind this and I'm still trying to ignore the annoyance I felt about the situation. I mean he could have just told me that he had sunken his werewolf alpha teeth into a guy at my school, right?

Hopefully his brooding ass texts me back before he turns another one of my peers into a supernatural creature of the freaking night.

Stiles shrugs also while speaking not so quietly, "Peter told me that if the bite doesn't turn you it could kill you. Maybe teenagers have a better chance of surviving."

"Maybe that's why he bit me. Except, you know, for the whole I'm not turning into a werewolf thing." Both boys turn and look at each other over my head before sadly looking down to me. I ignore their sad looks while writing Harris's words down in my notes.