five; defective

A shiver rips through my body as the cold breeze drifts around me. The tears lightly fall from my eyes, even though my face stays emotionless. I sniffle and rub my hands against my arms trying to block out the cold. In my rush, I didn't think of the chilly night weather. I lay my chin against my knees as I pull my legs to chest. The wood underneath me creaks loudly against my weight. Once I was terrified that anytime I stepped here I'd fall through, but the thought doesn't seem to bother me anymore.

I don't know why I'm here. Why I put myself through the pain of being here. My eyes don't move away from the patch of grass no more than five feet away from me. It seems that anytime I'm near, it catches my attention. As if my aura had somehow seeped into the ground and planted roots in the soil there. I continue to stare and freeze before a sound a few feet away catches my attention. I don't even move my eyes to find the source of the noise.

"What's wrong?" At the sound of his voice, the tears become heavier and I feel my face twist in pain. Psychically I couldn't be better, but emotionally?

Good god.

I feel the heat of his body warm mine as he bends in front of me and lays his hands against my knees. He blocks my eyes from the wicked spot on the ground and almost immediately my eyes meet his. Surprisingly, his own are filled with sincere concern and worry. "What happened?" His voice is still deep and gruff, but it brings me more comfort than I could have ever imagined.

I shake my head slowly, and instead of speaking, I lean forward and lay my head against his chest. His arms immediately wrap around my waist and I let out a heartbroken sigh.

"I don't know what to do," my voice sounds like a stranger's to myself. I sound so broken and it's so unusual. He pulls back slightly and gives me a confused look before I speak again, "I just don't know what to do. He hates me and I-I don't even know why. I don't know what I am, what's wrong with me? Am I defective? Why am I not something? I don't understand-I just-I don't-"

As I inhale the air gets caught in my throats forcing out a sob. He pulls me closer and I feel his hand lay against the back of my head. Despite the heat radiating from his body, I shiver when the wind blows harshly.

I feel his hands press against the sides of my face as he forces to me focus on him, "Stop. You're going to be okay. It doesn't matter that you didn't turn, or that you were bit. You're not defective, or broken, or anything like that. I'm right here."

I watch as he pulls his leather jacket off before pulling it over my shoulders. I open my mouth to protest, but he just shakes his head. I sigh and put my arms though the too big sleeves. I wrap my arms around his neck in shock when I'm suddenly lifted bridal style off the stairs. After a second a lay my head against his chest. I close my eyes and listen to the sound of his heart beating.