twenty three; field meetings

"I want to talk to Derek

"I want to talk to Derek."

I stop and stand next to Scott as he stares Boyd down across from us. I look across the empty lacrosse field around us and don't see another soul in sight.

If only.

Boyd shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly, "Talk to me."

I sigh and let my eyes roll before stepping forward, "Listen, not sure if you have some type of hearing issue, but we want to talk to Derek. Not Boyd. Derek. Do you hear the distinct differences there?"

Boyd huffs deeply before taking his own step towards me, "You think you're funny?"

I shrug and begin to nod slowly, "Well-" I stop when Scott rushes forward and lays a hand on my arm reeling me back some, "We don't want to fight."

I raise an eyebrow and look between them, "If people keep playing games, I'm going to fight somebody. I just don't have the patience today."

"Good, 'cause I'm twice the size of you." I glare ahead of me at the boy, who is definitely more than twice my size, but is still quite annoying.

I watch as Scott looks up to Boyd with nervousness, "True. Really, really true. But wanna know what I think?" I can't help but smirk when Scott lets the nervousness fall away and instead expresses his confidence, "I'm twice as fast."

I don't move as he races forward and tackles Boyd to the ground. I hold back an eye roll as the feeling of someone behind me settles in the back of my mind. Wonder who that could be.

Both of the hormonal boys in front of me jump back up onto their feet, but Scott jumps slightly when a deep voice speaks from behind me, "She failed the test."

I take a close look at Derek as he moves to stand next to Boyd. I know the timing is completely and utterly wrong, but I can't help but notice how good he looks.

"Yeah, which doesn't prove anything," Scott moves away slightly, back to standing beside me, "Lydia's different."

It seems like Derek does all that he can to hold back an eye roll, "I know, at night she turns into a homicidal walking snake."

I watch as Scott takes on his superhero expression, "I'm not going to let you kill her."

Derek smirks lightly before exchanging glances with his little side kick, "Who said I was gonna do it?"

I feel my brows draw closer for a split second, but when Scott looks to the school in realization, I continue to watch Derek. I scoff lightly and let my head shake, "I'm assuming that means your little minions are doing it for you?"

"I'm getting the job done." Derek's eyes meet mine and I ignore every feeling they bring except one; annoyance. Focusing on that will make the next few minutes at least somewhat easier. I look over surprised as Scott goes to move towards the school, but Boyd shoves him to the round before he can get more than two steps away.

"I swear, can't ever just have a simple meeting." I mutter the words before reaching down and helping Scott of the ground.

Derek takes a step towards us as he begins speaking, "I don't know why you think you have to protect everyone now, Scott, but even so, Lydia has killed people and she's gonna do it again, and next time, it's gonna be one of us."

I feel my gut twist suddenly, but try to push down the feeling.

I take small step away from the three in front of me as the twisting feeling grows more intense. I hear Derek and Scott still continuing to speak in front of me, but my mind won't focus on their words. I look to my right when I hear the sound of a faint whisper, so faint it's as if the wind carried it straight to me.

I'm not surprised when I don't see anything, but empty field. I turn back to Scott and Derek while trying to focus on any part of their conversation. 

The only voice that breaks through my haze is the deep sound of Derek's, "It's her."

NO.

I gasp and inhale sharply as the higher pitched voice speaks inside my head. I blink rapidly trying to refocus my gaze and when I do I see Scott's eyes trying to meet mine and his lips moving, but no sound escaping them.

"It's not her. It's not Lydia."

I surprise myself as the words leave my own mouth. They sounded foriegn, like someone else was controlling my vocal cords, but I know deep down it was me.

Why am I saying this now? I don't have an answer for that quite yet.

"What?" Derek's scrutinizing eyes meet mine once again, and this time I can focus on them solely.

I blink again trying to regain some sense, but the words that fell from my lips seconds just repeat themselves, "It's not Lydia. She's not the kanima."

Scott looks at me worriedly, "What just happened?"

I ignore his stress and worry while trying to ignore the itchy feeling inside my head. It's almost as if something is right there--so close--yet I can't place my finger on what it is. "I don't have proof, I just know it. Derek, I'm telling you, it's not her."

I watch as his face remains emotionless, but his eyes flash briefly. I feel any type of hope that he would believe my drain as he hardens his gaze and shakes his head, "You don't know what you're dealing with. It happens rarely and it happens for a reason."

I try to ignore the hurt feeling inside of me as it has no reason to be there in the first place. I should know more than to expect Derek to listen to, or trust, anyone.

I'm not special.

Derek watches me closely as the next few words leave his lips, "Sometimes the shape you take reflects the person that you are. Even Stiles calls her cold-blooded."

Scott looks back to me briefly, his eyes still covered in concern, "Well, what if she's immune?" I wince at the still optimistic and hopeful tone of Scott's voice. "What if she's got something inside of her that makes her immune to the bite, which is why she didn't get paralyzed?"

Derek angrily shakes his head and steps closer, "No one's immune! I've never seen it or heard of it. It's n-it's never happened."

"What about me?" My voice is unusually small as I watch the three in front of me, and for the first time since we've walked out here--none of them have anything to say. Before I can think, or have any of them stop me, I move and walk off the field and back to the gloomy school behind me.