nine; the past is a bitch

I cover my face with my hands and try to calm my nerves. I pull them away at the sound of tires squealing from beside me and I turn to see a familiar black Camaro. With the window unrolled I can clearly see Derek's he leans forward, "Come on."

I glare at him as I match over to the car, but don't get in. I lean against the open window and continue to glare at him.

He takes of his sunglasses before looking back at me, "Why are you mad?"

I raise an eyebrow at him while giving him a flat look and he lets out a deep sigh, "Issac?"

I don't my angry look fade as I nod sarcastically, "Yeah, Issac! Why the hell didn't you tell me you bit someone? Or, here's one better for ya, why didn't you tell me said bite actually turned someone?!"

He leans his head back against the seat and before looking back at me, "Please, just get in."

I roll my eyes and continue to stand my ground, "Being cute and using 'please' will get you no where."

He suddenly leans forward slightly and sends me a smirk. As he opens his mouth to speak, the front doors of the school busy open and Scott marches out. I lean off the car quickly and cross my arms over my chest. He looks at Derek angrily and points to the cop car leaving school grounds, "Are you serious? You did that. That's your fault."

Derek sighs from the drivers seat, "I know that. Now get in the car and help me."

Scott starts to move down the stairs and walks towards us, "No, I've got a better idea. I'm gonna call a lawyer. Because a lawyer might actually have a chance at getting him out before the moon goes up."

"Not when they do a real search of the house." Derek says factually and I start to worry for the newly turned werewolf in police custody.  I don't really know anything about Isaac, but something about him and his situation makes me want to help him.

Scott shakes his head confused as he stops next to me, "What do you mean?"

Derek looks between us as he speaks, "Whatever Jackson said to the cops, what's in the house is worse," His eyes find mine and I try to control the butterflies in my stomach, as this is not the time, "A lot worse."

I let out an annoyed sigh at the fact that he's right, we do need to help him. I pull open the passenger door and push the seat up so Scott can climb in.

He looks at me blankly which only results in my raising an eyebrow, "Well, I'm not getting in the backseat."

☾     ☾      ☾

"Wow, this place isn't horrifying at all." I mutter to myself as I wrap my arms around my body. We are currently walking through the dark and empty home of the Layhey's. Derek turns and gives me a raised eyebrow look and I only shrug in response.

Scott walks ahead holding a flashlight between his hands, "If Isaac didn't kill his father, who did?"

Derek looks away from me and back to Scott as we move further into the dark house, "I don't know, yet."

Scott looks back at him confused, "Then how do you know he's telling the truth?"

Derek sighs deeply, "Because I trust my senses. And it's a combination of them. Not just your sense of smell."

We stop walking and Scott suddenly looks down embarrassed, "You saw the lacrosse thing today."

I laugh lightly as I think back to him knocking down and sniffing other players continuously.

Derek nods his head with a judgy look, "Yeah."

Scott looks at him with a cringed worried face, "Did it look that bad?"

This time I answer as I walk forward into the house, "Oh, yeah." I slap his shoulder lightly as I pass him and I hear him sigh from behind me.

I walk through the kitchen as Derek and Scott continue to talk behind me. I take notice of the broken glass on the floor and the dishes still on the table. Something obviously happened here. I stop walking as I reach a door and I feel a chill race down my back.

I turn to face the door completely and stare at it confusedly. I feel my chest tighten and for some reason I feel fearful of whatever's behind it. I pull my sleeve over my hand and lightly rest it against the handle before slowly opening it. I feel panic start to swell in my chest as I stare down the stairs in front of me.

As if I'm being controlled I start to slowly take the steps one-by-one. My breathing becomes more shallow and the fear inside me starts to grow with each step. Though the terror feels genuine and real, I have no source for it. It's almost as if I know that something is down here.

Something bad.

I finally reach the bottom of the stairs and I immediately continue forward. That's when I feel it. The tingling in my finger tips. Now, the fear has an explanation as I recall this exact feeling from almost every nightmare I've had since that night. I stop moving in front of a freezer and my eyes start to gather tears as I feel nothing but pure, raw terror. I lay my hand against the freezer and my breathing becomes erratic as a jolt races up my arm.

Issac sits in the freezer, screaming, with large tears rolling down his cheeks. He continuously claws at the freezer walls trying to free himself and I can hear a deeper voice yelling from outside.

Then, in the blink of an eye, it's me. I'm in the freezer. It's so small and cramped I feel as if the air is limited and slowly lessening. My fingers are sore from scratching against the hard metal inside, just trying to get myself out.

I let out a scream as I snap back to reality and fall to the ground. I push myself away from the freezer as quickly as I can and I don't stop until my back meets a wall. I let out a sob as the feeling of being locked up so tightly doesn't disappear with the vision. It doesn't stop until I feel a pair of familiar hands grab my shoulders and I cling into the body in front of me. Derek's leather jacket feels like a comfort blanket against my skin and I am finally able to take deep and easy breaths.

"Hey, you're alright. What's the matter? What happened?"
His voice is quiet and he tries to pull back, but I just grip his jacket in my hands and rest my head against his shoulder.

"I saw it. I saw him. He was in there, he was so scared. I was so scared."

I finally pull away from him and wipe the tears from my face. I notice Scott looking at me worriedly from behind Derek. My eyes race between the two pairs of confused ones in front of me as Scott bends down, "How did you see that?"

I slowly shake my head and let my eyes fall to the ground, "I don't know."

Derek takes hold of my hand and lightly pulls onto my feet. I completely ignore the sight of the freezer in front of me and I turn to look back to the stairs, "I'm just going to wait up there. You guys finish what you need to do."

I move forward and wrap my arms around myself again. I stop when I feel pressure on my arm and turn to see Derek holding out his jacket. I take it and send him a small smile before climbing back up the stairs to the kitchen.

As I reach the top, I slip on Derek's jacket and relish in the comfort it brings me.