thirty two; escape

"If Jackson doesn't remember being the Kanima, he's definitely not gonna remember stealing Danny's tablet." I stop walking next to Scott, Stiles, and Allison. I look over the cliff at the town of chaos we now call home. Apparently the footage is nowhere to be found.

Stiles looks to Scott confused, "Why would he steal the thing if he doesn't even know what's on it?"

"Maybe Jackson didn't take it, the Kanima did?" I guess trying to piece everything together. If he took the tablet while in his Kanima glory he wouldn't remember it.

Allison sighs and I notice the thoughtful look on her face as well, "What if someone else took it?"

"That would mean someone else knows what he is, which unless they are a really good person I don't see how that would help us at all." I let my head fall back in slight defeat. As of now, we don't know who knows about Jackson, but do know the cops are currently him.

Scott shrugs trying to figure out what this could possibly mean, "Uh, which could mean someone's protecting him."

"Like the bestiary says, 'the Kanima seeks a friend', right?" I look to Allison to see a hopeful look in her eye, but I can't return it. Something about this just doesn't seem to fit right.

Stiles spastically throws up his arms before looking to each of us, "Okay, hold on. So, somebody watches Jackson make a video of himself turning into the kanima, and then just erases part of it so he wouldn't know? I mean, who would do that?"

Maybe someone trying to protect him?

Wrong.

Scott doesn't look convinced either. He hesitated before speaking, "There's something else. You said the only thing you found online about the Kanima is that it goes after murderers. What if that's actually true?"

It's been in my house and last I remember I haven't gone on any murdering frenzies lately so I don't see why it would be targeting any of us. Next idea.

"No, it can't be. Tried to kill all of us, remember? I don't know about you three, but I haven't murdered anybody lately." I nod agreeing with Stiles, "Same here."

Scott then stops and turns thoughtfully, "But I-I don't think that it was actually trying to kill us. Remember when we were at Isaac's the first time, it just went right by us, didn't it?"

He looks to Allison and she nods as well, "You're right, it just ran off."

I look to Stiles and think back to the all the times we've encountered the Kanima, "Stiles I don't think it was trying to hurt us at the garage either. Just the mechanic."

But Stiles adamantly shakes his head disagreeing, "Well, yeah, but it tried to kill me, you, and Derek in the pool."

"I don't think it was," I think about to the Kanima stalking around the pool, almost like it wasn't waiting to strike, but rather guarding us in. "What if it was trying to keep us in the pool?"

Stiles shutters and looks at me weirded out, "Why do I feel so violated all of a sudden?"

I roll my eyes and throw my arms back towards the van behind us, "Maybe because we have someone locked in a van against his will and the entire police department, including your dad, is looking for him?" They all three stare at me with slight glares and I shrug trying to pretend the weight of the town isn't on all of our shoulders, "Not the best time, huh?"

Scott just shakes his head and looks around as dusk sets in, "And maybe because there's something else going on. We don't know what it is. We don't know anything about what's going on with Jackson, or why someone's protecting him."